Lord Buckethead wins 249 votes in UK general election challenge to Prime Minister May

Originally published at: http://boingboing.net/2017/06/08/lord-buckethead-wins-249-votes.html

7 Likes

We also had Mr Fish Finger:

http://imgur.com/jXOANYn

14 Likes

Does he have any relatives over here to take our current leaders place? It would definitely be an improvement.

9 Likes

20 Likes

I say this in the spirit not of gloating but wistfulness: Bernie would’ve fucking won.

Heer heer, Jeet!

11 Likes

Oddly enough, the intergalactic space lord wasn’t the most authoritarian candidate running for the seat, and while he may not have conquered Maidenhead he’s won our hearts. Here’s hoping that Lord Buckethead’s admirable showing against May will end up being the least embarrassing outcome for her after calling an election that cynically gambled on fear and xenophobia to carry her through.

15 Likes

Still a few seats to go, but as it stands now, Tories plus Unionists still don’t have a majority.

4 Likes

Rob, that was the most enjoyable headline I read so far on the GE, but you tried to ruin my day towards the end of the piece.

If - and I hope that’s a big IF - the UK seriously gets The Other Wig as PM, I am pretty sure Brexit is going to be an even stranger experiment than we all thought.

Holy moly, Lordy may prevent that. What everyone really doesn’t need is another populist at the helm. He’s already dangerously close in his current position.

1 Like

I won’t believe that May beat Buckethead until she gets a perfect score on “Jordan” on expert mode.

6 Likes

Wow, the british general elections are like that old Monty Python sketch. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kJVROcKFnBQ

3 Likes

13 Likes

I’m a Corbyn supporter, and I can’t stop giggling. Icing on the cake, Corbyn in a suit :smiley: :smiley: :smiley:

6 Likes

The outcome of this whole thing shows just how damaging the attacks on Corbyn from inside of his own party (talk about how “unelectable” he is) was damaging to Labour in the end. He basically had to run his campaign against not only Tories but also against all the Blairites.

19 Likes

Corbyn’s calling for May’s resignation over her loss of seats, or as I prefer twisting his words: You want a mandate and the mandate is clear: we really really really really wish you weren’t here.

3 Likes

I’d like to point out that Maidenhead is in Berkshire, not Kent.

Maidstone, on the other hand…

4 Likes

They do now, just barely. Northern Ireland unionists as kingmakers - this is going to get very, very interesting.

4 Likes

Looks like Conservatives will get one or two more, so Con + DUP = majority. DUP won’t consider working with Corbyn due to his history of supporting Sinn Féin. The fact that Sinn Féin have 7 seats now also effectively moves the goalpost for having a majority down from 326 to 319 - since their MPs will not take their seats in the chamber.

Can’t see it going any other way than Conservatives forming the government, no Lib Dem coalition this time.

Musings:

• May: don’t piss off old people when they are your support base (social care plans and U-turns)
  • Corbyn: well, you and Momentum managed to get the student youth vote out in multiple seats, well done to your team. Mind you, that same voting base has no clear memory of living under Labour - new or otherwise…
  • Scotland: definitely no second independence referendum there then!

And Daesh claiming they influenced the results in 3…2…1…

3 Likes

Jesus, but I want to sit down at a $1 million poker game with Theresa disMay.

She can’t gamble to save her life.

6 Likes

Also it’s the perfect spot for Corbyn. He has proven that he is a viable force yet he can sit it out in the opposition while wounded Tories have to sort through the whole Brexit mess they cooked up. Also they will depend on people in whose backyard the only land border with EU will be errected. Fun times.

8 Likes

Not quite. Sinn Féin’s abstentionism means there are effectively 643 MPs rather than 650, so 322 are needed for a working majority of 1.

In theory, we should account for the Speaker and his three deputies too, but as two are Tories and two are Labour (I’m assuming all incumbents stood and won), I don’t think they affect the maths.

(Note to confused Americans: unlike the Speaker of the House of Representatives, the Speaker of the House of Commons effectively leaves partisan politics and only votes in the case of ties. Their role is probably closer to that of the Vice President when acting as President of the Senate. By convention, the major parties do not put up candidates against a sitting Speaker seeking re-election to the Commons: e.g., in yesterday’s election, the current Speaker, John Bercow, faced no Labour or Liberal Democrat opponents in his constituency.)

4 Likes