UK military slang from Afghanistan

[Permalink]

Vast amounts of ammunition never goes out of style.

2 Likes

I just finished watching ā€œGeneration Killā€, and this is interesting, too. Although lists or collections of cool/esoteric words always make me feel like Mark Slackmeyerā€™s dad in his younger days.

My favourite bit of slang coined by Army wags was their take on the BOWMAN comms system: ā€˜Better Off With Map And Nokiaā€™.

2 Likes

Domain-specific slangs are funny in general. The military flavored domains shine there.

The ā€œLash Vegasā€ one reminded me of ā€œLos Arzamasā€, the name of ŠŃ€Š·Š°Š¼Š°Ń-16 coined by the nuclear scientists working there as a reference to Los Alamos.

From the article : ā€œANA Afghan National ***Amy.***ā€

Does anyone in print even proofread anymore, my god itā€™s the second definition.
Kind of important since itā€™s an article about words, acronyms, letters, etc.

you put a comma where a question mark goes, pal.
:trollface:

@GilbertWham in Desert Storm, the unreliable radio used by US Marines was officially the PRC-100 or some such number, but was familliarly known as the ā€œprick.ā€

Sub-editors have been amongst the first to go under the budgetary crunch at news orgs.

Waddya mean? Sheā€™s a delightful old lady.

2 Likes

Sweet! Iā€™m writing a military scfi tail and i want to put in more slang from other armies that arenā€™t the US.

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.