Universal wants to take away prisoners' mixtapes

[Permalink]

Because we all know that Home Taping is Killing Music.

5 Likes

Was Captain Space-tastic’s mother in Guardians of the Galaxy “the copyright owner or owner of corresponding state law rights” for the music on that mix tape?

4 Likes

Since they defined mixtape as “a form of recorded music in which DJs combine (or mix) tracks, often recorded by different artists, on to a single CD, sometimes creating overlaps and fades between songs, and/or reflecting a common theme or mood.” they will only be able to sue over CDs made by a DJ. .

CDs made from recordings owned by the prisoner and compiled by someone who is not a DJ should not fall under the definition of mixtape as provided by Universal. Nor can they sue over cassette tapes, MP3s, DVDs, or any other type of media according to their definition.

3 Likes

3 Likes

Well I guess since they got all of us to buy into DRM and watermarks (and in the case of video, HDCP) to listen to content these days, I suppose it was inevitable that the content owners would try and go back to seal up those pesky analog formats. I mean it’s not enough to merely win, you have to subdue as well.

Think of all the hundreds of dollars they’re losing by letting people get away with this piracy!

2 Likes

Incarcerated Americans are a growth market.

5 Likes

Ha! That’s great! Despite that mixtape staring me in the face the entire film I didn’t consider that Guardians of the Galaxy was a mainstream romanticism of music piracy. Oops.

Remember kids, Guardians of the Galaxy is a fictional and romantic version of space
piracy. Just because we show something on the screen doesn’t mean it’s a good idea for you to try it. So, don’t pick up Infinity Stones without an oven mitt and don’t make mix tapes.

3 Likes

What about one of those silicone pads?

I’m no fan of the RIAA and the record companies, but this doesn’t seem to be a case of Universal going after people for sending mixtapes to inmates. This is Universal going after a company (Centric Group) for including mixtapes in care packages that they make available for friends and relatives of inmates to purchase and send to the inmates. In this case, Centric is clearly profiting from the copying of the copyrighted music, so I can’t argue with Universal going after them.

4 Likes

They’re suing a company which is copying music and reselling it, it’s not a home tape.

I can’t buy a copy of an album and sell bootleg copies of it, either, so I don’t think compiling them into a mixtape is going to fly.

3 Likes

Universal is Comcast, so it makes sense.

Yep. Had to read the article to realize a company is profiting off of inmates by selling unauthorized mixtapes.

Still, it seems like there ought to be a charitable group sending these mixtapes for free if Universal is going to get all lawyer-y about it.

1 Like

Just like everything else related to the US penal system, there’s gotta be a profit to be made somewhere.

Yes, this seems exactly like the kind of giant nationwide commercial piracy operation the huge statutory fines were meant for, as opposed to the individuals the RIAA sued over non commercial, private downloading.

2 Likes

Cory usually picks his battles better than this.
If there isn’t a charity that does this already who’s going to pick up this ball and run with it?

Maybe in his Guardian articles, but here his misleading headline is SOP.

This is isn’t some weird irrational attempt to rob people of joy. You’re all missing the point. I picked up a copy of 2600 a while back that identifies exactly what’s going on: There was a letter in the issue that discussed computers in prison, and the sad fact is that prisoners in some places can buy DRM-d music to listen to using their commissary accounts. You can charge prisoners whatever you want.

The truth is sicker than it seems.

1 Like

Yup, here’s one more company that you can stick right up on top of your ‘do-not-touch-with-a-ten-foot-pole’ list; you can assume that anything from Universal is ‘toxic’!

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.