Urine danger from San Francisco's pee-soaked light poles toppling

It depends on the gerrymandering. It is no accident that in the US we have more people voting for Democrats and get less Democrats into the House of Reps.

1 Like

mumble mumble put a man on the moon we can put up public toilets mumble

2 Likes

Why would we put public toilets on the moon?
[ducks and covers]

6 Likes

We choose to put these toilets on the moon and do these other things not because they are easy, but because they are hard. (ā€œHahdā€.)

7 Likes

Because we want to boldly go where no man has gone before?

(unless youā€™re counting the diapers Apollo wore, which Iā€™m not.)

5 Likes

~grin~

1 Like

I once toured a UPS farm that was part of a local telco office. All of the hardware was new, because a tech a few months prior stumbled and fell on to the top of the terminals on a row of lead-acids.

The guys at that office were still shook from it.

1 Like

Diaper? I think you mean ā€œplastic bag with germicidal tablet one had to massage into the fecal matter.ā€

2 Likes

A stream of urine if observed in slow motion is not physically connected, itā€™s a stream of water droplets that the current canā€™t jump across. You would literally need to be humping the rail to get electrocuted.

You should see what it does to steel beams

1 Like

Third rail is a pretty special circumstance. The experiment directly contradicts my own experience. Busted

Edit: they also busted themselves:

MythBusters Episode 14: Myths Revisited SPINOFF: Urinating on an electric fence can cause electrocution. (From Episode 3) confirmed Upon retesting the myth on an electric fence it was found to be confirmed, but the rail was still Busted. Distance was the factor, as the urine stream breaks up less at the close range needed for urinating on the fence than urinating on the third rail, thus ensuring a direct line of current between ones body and the electrical source.
5 Likes

If youā€™ve ever lived in a place where adobe construction is common, you can see whole buildings being undermined this way. People put up signs threatening prosecution or electrocution, but dogs canā€™t readā€¦

2 Likes

Dogs are also quick to learn. Thatā€™s what the current-limited option is for.

1 Like

heh, leakage current

3 Likes
2 Likes

Great post on San Franciscoā€™s Number One Problem

2 Likes

I read this headline several times trying to figure out what on earth a ā€œurine danglerā€ could be.

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.