Vaped crusader

How about “I don’t want me or my kid to have to breathe in your highly addictive drug (nicotine) when I’m just eating lunch or watching a movie?”

8 Likes

#Authoricontrarian!

1 Like

Ironically, unlike the fellow calling me names, I do have a vaporizer but I only put a powdered dry plant product in it at home.

1 Like

The studies have been done The European Food Safety Authority (EFSA) has defined the Lowest Observed Adverse Effect Level (LOAEL) of nicotine as any amount that causes heart rate acceleration. The level set by EFSA was 0.008mg/kg body weight. For an average 75kg human, that is 0.26mg. However, passive vaping (being near and active vaper) leads to daily nicotine intake of 0.025mg. Such a levels is not only harmless but has absolutely no biological effect, even according to the strictest regulatory definitions.
Yay science!

3 Likes

So you want to ban a pretty harmless aerosol, and insist it is on par with an actual smoke created by combustion?

The politicos are assholes who are swayed with public opinion, and said public opinion is everything but rational. Laws don’t necessarily have to be fair. And people will happily give up what they don’t do/enjoy themselves, which is pretty typical.

One more idea. A classical propane flame, and blow the exhaled aerosol through it. This will vaporize the water in the aerosol and combust the organic stuff to CO2/water.

Electrically heated platinum mesh may also work. Maybe cerium dioxide coated mesh would be better, though; that’s the catalyst material on the liners of self-cleaning ovens.

A significant saving on the oxidizing capacity could be achieved if the aerosol is absorbed in some material, e.g. a cotton ball. The liquid would however accumulate in the material, and the filter would have to be occasionally replaced, provoking howls of the plebes who are guaranteed to be loudly insulted by barely detectable glycol-soaked cotton balls in the trash cans.

If it contains nicotine or thc, it isn’t harmless under any definition.

Amen - I went onto the gum/mints when my wife was diagnosed with breast cancer because I just couldn’t bring myself to smoke while she was going through chemo.

Now I’m woefully addicted to the mints because it’s basically just strait nicotine. Vaped nicotine is worse, from what I hear, as the levels of nicotine vary wildly and can be quite high.

Don’t get me wrong, I don’t blame anyone but myself for my addiction predicament, but for those that may try nicotine via vape because it doesn’t have carcinogens - don’t. Just don’t.

2 Likes

The amount is low to start with. Most is absorbed in the lungs. The rest gets further diluted in air before it reaches you. By then the dose is so low it can be safely neglected.

Anything is effectively harmless below certain threshold. Getting upset over it then harms you merely by your own self-generated stress, which is under your control.

2 Likes

I’m essentially in agreement with you on this, but I question how addictive occasional small doses of nicotine really are. I understand how cigarette addicts’ constant exposure hooks them. But I’ve smoked an average of maybe ten cigars a year in social settings. Those supposedly have more nicotine than cigarettes, but I’ve never feel an urge to smoke one.

2 Likes

Which would be FANTASTIC if it were only nicotine being exhaled.

You mean the water vapor and glycerin?

1 Like

Can be also propylene glycol. Which is one oxygen less than glycerol, and nontoxic as well.

3 Likes

Is that what it lists as ingredients on every box of e-juice?

neat. I didn’t know that. Why the difference? Do you know? Is there an advantage of one over the other? I’ve read about vegetable glycerine being used (vegan preference for some) but I didn’t know about the propylene glycol.

I haven’t checked all of them. What did you find when you checked them all?

I found, myself, a UK gov study which found vaping to be 95% safer than smoking. Just me, though.

3 Likes

However, why don’t the new generation of smokers do what earlier generations of successful quitters did: quit cold turkey? I had several aunts and uncles who were told by their doctors to quit, so they did. Of course, this is long before patches and gum so their only choices were quit or don’t quit.

Yes, it’s possible. An colleague at work switched to vaping in an attempt to quit smoking. He vaped discretely at his desk 2 cubicles away from me. I didn’t know for at least 3 weeks. He wasn’t hiding it, just not being obvious.

I should have caught on earlier… he used to walked by my cubicle door every 45 minutes like clockwork to head outside for a butt.

Regrettably, he went back to cigarettes after ~3 months. It’s amazing how deep the hook is set by nicotine.

3 Likes

In all honesty, most cold turkey quits are a very small minority. If it were that easy they wouldn’t make the gum or patch. Vaping is, by science, many times more effective in stopping tobacco abuse than anything that the tobacco industry has come up with, themselves.

Vaping gets people to quit smoking. That’s it. That’s all. It is the most efficient smoking cessation tool ever.

3 Likes

Glycerol is thicker and is somewhat sweet, while propylene glycol (PG) is less viscous and tasteless. They provide different mouthfeel, so it is about personal preference. You can also blend the two.

PG wicks and vaporizes faster, and requires less energy. Also does not make such gunky residues and the vaporizer cleans easier. PG also provides stronger flavour and better hits the back of throat. Glycerol in turn provides thicker smoke, which some may prefer.

Many vendors mix them in some proportions. I think you should be able to mix your own e-liquid, if you get the flavoring and the nicotine. Or if you use an unflavored liquid as a component.

quitsmokingcommunity.org - This website is for sale! - quitsmokingcommunity Resources and Information.
Tutorial: Propylene Glycol (PG) vs. Vegetable Glycerin (VG) E-juice

2 Likes

Not sure if it was Al Jaffee, but I recall one invention where dog poop (drawn as sausage links, if memory is correct) was encased in clear, brick-shaped plastic blocks, which were subsequently used as building materials.

We were a Mad family back in the day. None of that Cracked nonsense.

Good. Times.

2 Likes