Vaped crusader

And as a former smoker and current vaper I want Tobacco banned. I really do. If I couldn’t have bough smokes (which have zero health benefit) when I was a kid we’d never even be here. But we’ve let the tobacco companies run without much oversight considering they kill people.

I would have never quit if not for vaping, and I’d just like to say that there are way more vapers who don’t see it as some sort of shitty lifestyle bullshit. Most vapers see it for what it is: a venerable miracle that let them quit smoking when nothing else ever came close to helping.

I’ve vaped on planes and in movie theaters. On planes because when hour three comes around that is my limit. In every case blowing vape into my shirt means that no one even notices not smells nor cares. More vapers are absolutely aware of the general discomfort than you give credit for.

We don’t at all disagree. But you’re quick to deny the benefits and cry foul over perceived personal insults. I hate the “cloud” vapers. Nothing I inhale to keep me from smoking cigarettes creates a venerable cloud. Those guys are asshole and we all know it. I hate those assholes, too.

But for every “asshole” I just want to remind you that there are many vapers whose only intent is to quit smoking and who aren’t assholes. But you never see it because we aren’t assholes about it.

3 Likes

I can tell a clear difference between most PM smokes and American Spirits since it is so clear that PM adds so much additional crap. I use AS as my “quitting smoke” because it weaned me away from all the insane chemicals. It wasn’t even the nicotine I was addicted to… it was everything else.

1 Like

I don’t care what they do as long as I don’t have to breathe it too. That’s the crux of it.

4 Likes

You mean “I believe in laws?” Sure.

Not everyone is vaping “harmless chemicals.” Surely they aren’t just harmless because if there wasn’t nicotine in it or other things, you wouldn’t be doing it. I don’t want to breathe your nicotine either.

Just because it isn’t a cigarette doesn’t mean I want to breathe it with you while I eat, when my kid is here, or in a movie theater. I’m soooo sorry that tramples on your right to vape but I don’t care.

Fortunately, since we have existing smoking laws in most municipalities, we can just extend them. You can thank your fellow vapers for making that necessary.

6 Likes

There are two kinds of law - mala prohibita (illegal because we say so) and mala in se (illegal because it’s wrong). You are pushing the former with no real reason other than your opinion. Before you take freedom away from people you should have a damned good reason.

And not everyone is vaping harmful ones either. But your position treats both equally. [quote=“enso, post:144, topic:73621”]
I don’t want to breathe your nicotine either.
[/quote]
Welcome to the world where you don’t always get what you want.

And that’s what makes you an authoritarian. Your statement is as fine an example of callous and self centered policy making I’ve seen. Kissinger would be proud of you.

I don’t vape but don’t let facts get in your way.

4 Likes

Smoker justifies exposing people to his addiction, story at 11.

5 Likes

Interesting. Yeah, not real big on those, but not nearly as awful as cigarette smoke smell, IMO.

2 Likes

Authoritarian labels anyone who supports vaping as a smoker - even when they are not. No report will be shown. This sort of shit happens every day.

1 Like

That’s nice. Fortunately, I just have to sit and wait since vapers are digging their own holes in public. Let me know how stopping the law from treating vaping like smoking goes, Quixote.

1 Like

Well, other than the smoke machine smoke that you breathe doesn’t contain nicotine (or thc).

1 Like

Do vapes emit nicotine or THC? I thought that was supposed to be filtered out.

If it didn’t emit them, how would the people using them get the drugs into their systems?

3 Likes

Many thanks! So it was real!
Now I am having a flashback, I’ll have to watch this again after work is done.

No, I mean I thought the steam that comes out the end facing the rest of us was filtered water vapor. I thought that was the whole point, they can breath in their noxious nicotine and we don’t get the blow-back.

1 Like

Some brands can be quite noxious. I absolutely LOVE the smell of cannabis smoke though (Blueberry Cheese particularly), sometimes more than I like the flavour.

1 Like

The vapor really only comes out the end the user is sucking on. The complaint is about what they exhale.

1 Like

If they’re exhaling nicotine, I’m all for sending them out-doors. I’m not totally unsympathetic to smokers. I’ve dated a couple. But I’m not okay with inhaling other people’s carcinogens.

Why on earth can’t someone make a device that smokers’ inhale and then exhale back through with it filtering out the crap? Like a catalytic converter for cancer clouds. Paging @shaddack :slightly_smiling:

3 Likes

I think I proposed earlier in this thread an activated charcoal cartridge, that reversed gas mask.

But since you mentioned a catalytic converter, this leads me to a thought - a cartridge with a corona discharge and a catalytic ozone recombiner. First, ozone is created and oxidizes away everything organic, then the remaining ozone is destroyed.

Another thought that would have to be tested is a long thin tube lined inside with a photocatalyst (titanium-zirconium dioxide, most likely), illuminated with an UV LED.

And I bet that there are certain authoritarian assholes that would love to ban even this.

4 Likes

That’s the thing though, nicotine is not a carcinogen. Glycerol vapour doesn’t seem to be either. The thing people seem to be against is the annoyance factor.
Exhaust fumes (largely unnoticeable) however are deadly. But because they’re invisible people think everything’s fine and dandy. ie don’t take your kids to monster-truck rallies if you’re concerned for their health.

6 Likes

How is there so much misunderstanding when it comes to vaping? If you are breathing something in, your lungs aren’t going to soak up 100% of what gets in there. E-cig companies can claim that vaporizers are better than cigarettes all they want, but until they release what their formulation is, it should be treated as regular smoking.

6 Likes