Variations on the Trolley Problem

[Permalink]

2 Likes

On the subject, this is my favorite joke of all time, and probably the best trolley problem ever:

http://www.mindspring.com/~mfpatton/Tissues.htm

9 Likes

Both Kant and Bentham were gone before trolleys were a thing. So weā€™re dealing with zombies, ghosts or even worse --philosophy LARPers. I pull the lever and hit Bentham. Ghost or not, you sir, do not get to change your mind. Then I beat Kant senseless with Benthamā€™s tome and leave him draped over the trolley lever.

13 Likes

Iā€™m going to wait for my Ethics prof to tell me which decision is correct.

9 Likes

Thereā€™s an out of control trolley speeding towards your ethics professor. You have the ability to pull a lever and change the trolleyā€™s path so it hits a different worker. The other worker is also your ethics professor, 10 minutes into the futureā€¦

Or somethingā€¦

4 Likes

Has she posted our grades yet? Thatā€™ll help me decide.

11 Likes

The best thought experiments should be problematic; if they werenā€™t, thereā€™d be no point in thinking about them.

BBC Radio 4 recently repeated their programme on this in the Philosophersā€™ Arms series, entitled, appropriately enough,Trolleyology. (I understand that folk unfortunate enough to live outside the UK can still listen to this on the web at that link, because itā€™s radio and not TV. Shrug.) That should give some food for thought.

5 Likes

Well the first part of the problem seems simple to me.

Pull the lever - hitting one person is not as bad as hitting 4 people. No other considerations needed. Now add ā€œthe 4 people hit will live but if you pull the lever the one person will dieā€ and the problem becomes more interesting - but just as easy - killing someone is worse than 4 injuries. Honestly Iā€™m unsure what the point of the added ā€˜will make you less lateā€™ adds to the equation as outside considerations shouldnā€™t factor into a decision that affects peoples physical selves.

The second question is easy - walk away because no one cares if a trolly hits an ethics professor.

:smile:

1 Like

My wife the urban planner rejected all the answers and says we need to go back in time and invest more in transit infrastructure (especially braking systems).

13 Likes

Do nothing. Let Godā€™s will be done.

1 Like

Is the trolley going to hit me? Is it my fault itā€™s out of control?

Meh. Not my problem.

Iā€™m still working on this dilemma, but think I may have a solution involving 100 duck sized horses.

Iā€™ll get back to you . . .

4 Likes

this sounds a lot like the 2016 presidential election

4 Likes

Has anybody thought to ask the trolley what IT wants?

12 Likes

Can we ring the bell?

3 Likes

God put us on Earth for a purpose. And that purpose is to do nothing!

2 Likes

Any physicist would know the correct answer can be determined easily, you must 1st assume a spherical ethics professorā€¦

8 Likes

Only one guy i can think of.

15 Likes

FTFY (but flagging prohibited)

2 Likes

Kill both men, steal their work, become immortal

2 Likes