Vultures circle GamerGate

Citation, please. As has been pointed out time and time again, this has not happened. So if you persist in stating something so counter-factual, please counter with some facts. Links are acceptable. Spelling does not count, but reading comprehension is required.

You do know that these threads, and #gamergate, is about gaming, and not anime? Currently, there are active BB-post/threads defending the anime strawboogeyman you allude to here.

No, they are not. If they are, please cite sources. Because, again, you are making things up.

8 Likes

17 Likes

Over here ā€“ feeling a little embarrassed for you and your straw-man argument.

5 Likes

I wonder if anyone has looked at how #gamergate people project their faults onto others?

6 Likes

Gamergate is about actual threats of murder, rape ā€œor whateverā€

Itā€™s fairly simple.

3 Likes

And if Gamergate nuts are creating threats of murder and rape, cā€™est la vie?

3 Likes

On the merits of whether threats of violence against critics of video-games are legitimate?

Think. About. Your. Words.

7 Likes

To be fair, there are some gaters-- okay, I actually only know of one (but just playing the odds there are likely others)-- who do say that. One of gamergateā€™s heroes, John Bain (aka Total Biscuit), has quoted that exact phrase when discussing this issue.

Ironically, at least for the antifeminist subset of gamergate, pointing out that theyā€™ve put Bain on a pedestal is one of the most damning things you can say about them. Not because Bain is Hitler but because heā€™s an SJW. The fact that the antifeminist contingent of gamergate (which the data from the info dumps Iā€™ve posted suggests is quite large) admires Bain, illustrates how poor their research skills are. It also explains how shocked they were to find out that people like Joss Whedon, a vocal feminist for decades, are SJWs.

What is that, gamergate? Not possible? Donā€™t let your black-and-white thinking get the best of you yet again. Just because Bain has tangled with certain SJWs in the past doesnā€™t mean he isnā€™t one of them. Thereā€™s always been infighting on the left, just like there has been elsewhere on the political spectrum. From some of the 8chan comments Iā€™ve read, I know some of you understand this.

Looking for sources of Bainā€™s political correctness, gamergate? Iā€™ve got 'em. Marvel as Bain accuses (2 hrs. 1 min. 20 sec. into the video) Terra Online of being exploitative because of its half-naked female characters. Watch as Bain criticizes (1hr. 21 min. 20 sec. into the video) his friend JonTron for using the word retarded. I personally drop r-bombs like Iā€™m flying over Dresden and Iā€™m critical of gamergate. Stop and consider the blue-pilled infiltrator youā€™re letting into your midst. Heā€™s bound to disappoint you as so many of your other heroes have.

I donā€™t want to spend any more time here defending Bain because I still havenā€™t forgiven him for coming out against used games (yes, he did that too). It actually doesnā€™t bother me that heā€™s somehow convinced himself that most gaters are ā€œleft as hellā€ but it does baffle me. The data Iā€™ve gathered suggests otherwise.

1 Like

Yes, I do. The PMRC lobbied for clear labeling of explicit content in the music industry ā€“ a concept that the games industry has also embraced. Note that in both industries, the labeling is voluntary, and does not carry the weight of law. Because these measures are both a label and not required by law, they do not rise to the level of censorship. Even if they did carry the weight of law, they would still not rise to the level of censorship.

But nice try with the straw-man argument.

Now: please tell me how that justifies death threats, rape threats, and endless harassment.

13 Likes

It is true! Whackjob fundies look the same no matter which flag theyā€™re waving.

ā€¦of course, this doesnā€™t really apply here, where abso-fucking-lutely nobody is taking anything away from anywhere or proposing any standards or ban lists or anything of the sort. All this frothing nerdrage is because somewhere some lady had a relationship with a stunted man-child named Eron Gjoni, and he didnā€™t like how it ended.

So that is not a side in this issue, and it is no reason to have sympathy for people who are running human beings out of their own homes and intimidating speakers from talking and generally making the internet hostile. Rest assured, the only ā€œsidesā€ in this ā€œdebateā€ are the people who think itā€™s OK intimidate women into silence with threats, and the people who think it is not OK. Well, maybe thereā€™s a third ā€œsideā€ who tries to use the hashtag for something of vague worth, but thatā€™s just useful idiots and people who donā€™t have a PROBLEM associating with those who think itā€™s OK to intimidate women into silence with threats, so theyā€™re really on the first side, theyā€™re just more milquetoast about it.

11 Likes

Yes!! This aspect about it is absolutely unbelievable. Its as if they have no self awareness at all. The parallels with the tea party dialect are uncanny. Itā€™s incredibly depressing. Just yesterday i lurked 8chan (i need to stop doing it, itā€™s messing with my sleep) to see if there was anything I could pull out, and i saw an idiot referring to the enemies of their movement as being inside an echo chamber. From 8chan. Holy fuck.

They speak about ethics, but associate with breitbart and take part in literal extortion of gaming sites by attacking their advertisers (that will be a short short victory though, a simple phone call and a mail with pr to clear things up will have them back in a heartbeat).

Mass hysteria of this size iā€™ve never seen. First I thought most of them were just stunted kids who wanted to see things burn, but after all this time, iā€™m pretty sure most of them have been manipulated into actually believeing some of the shit they spout. If you are one of them, I have a sincere favour to ask. Take distance from the chans, the conspiracy theorists, raid instructions and twitter for maybe a week. Take some perspective. The motives and tactics of the GG crows are incredibly transparent. Just take a breather, some distance, and LOOK.

11 Likes

You are truly a god among men. (Or women).

1 Like

There was an attempt to push #gamerreformation, apparently, but quite a lot of resistance as theyā€™d be dividing their forces, or something.

https://twitter.com/Silkenseven1/status/523878212880039938?s=09

https://twitter.com/GamersGate2014/status/523885780176236545

Thatā€™s great. Youā€™ve found a single example of a GG proponent who is self-regulating the language they use when having a disagreement.

The movementā€™s credibility is still irreparably damaged by the vulgarity of many many others.

Like I mentioned elsewhere in this thread. There is a time and a place for civil criticism, and it is after we have secured basic civility and safety for those who want to participate in such a dialogue.

Anyone who feels like they have a legitimate qualm with the targets of GG, should recognize the importance of first providing an environment thatā€™s non-toxic enough to have a proper debate.

3 Likes

Dead giveaway, only trollies bring out the Jack Thompson card.

but I like the way that the comments are getting more and more moderated with each trolley iteration attempting more and more reasoned responses hoping to get a bite.

Relevant:

And (Probably):

3 Likes

Iā€™d expect that, but of course the whole point of adopting a new tag would have to be to divide forces. Not an exercise in rebranding, but for people to separate themselves from wretches like the ones you quote, who pretend thereā€™s nothing wrong with a movement centered around misogyny and criminal threats.

My point was basically that anyone whose concern was actually ethics would be finding someplace else to go, rather than stand alongside something so much worse than what theyā€™re ostensibly protesting.

1 Like

This is sort of the other half of what Iā€™ve been seeing in the last couple of days - that a lot of the anti-feminist gamergate heroes were only a few weeks ago posting about what losers people who play videogames are. (See image from @funrulyā€™s post above)

The thing is, people who are prejudiced tend to be prejudiced in a general sense - if you are sexist it is more likely youā€™ll be racist, etc. The point is that they think about the world in a way that puts people into boxes and labels those boxes good or bad. Women - bad. Gamers - bad (losers).

On the other side, you have people who tend to have compassion and empathy for other people, and they are more likely to have empathy for people regardless of whether they agree with them or not.

So weā€™ve got one gamergate hero who thinks the movement is comprised of useless morons but likes it for the misogyny, and another who thinks the movement is a terrible wreck but sympathizes with the people involved in it. I guess I shouldnā€™t forget a certain recently discussed hero who doesnā€™t care one way or the other but is selling T-shirts for money.

Personally Iā€™ve been thinking about how to reach out to people who genuinely think that gamergate is a movement that isnā€™t about misogyny but is about something good and find out how they feel about the movement and what attracts them to it. Unfortunately my only contact with gamergate is the people who come and post in these forums, and itā€™s really hard to tell whether they are genuine at all or just here to create havok with philosophy 101 argument tactics.

At this point any new hashtag would either be adopted by the wretches or attacked by them. It certainly would be interesting if some people who care about the supposed gamergate issues broke off into a splinter group. I imagine theyā€™d quickly find out why people have been so unhappy with gamergate.

5 Likes

Always should be someone you really love?

7 Likes

Now that there? Thats a straw man. Pretty much on the level of ā€œSo have you stopped beating Mrs Zieroh yet?ā€.

1 Like

It doesnā€™t invalidate them, it drowns them out!
Donā€™t you agree that it would be best if he would shut his trap?

1 Like