Watch a candy maker make candy canes by hand

[Permalink]

I can imagine cutting soft tubes of warm sugar goo with giant shiny metal scissors could be a very effective way to relax.

1 Like

John Favreau should make a movie about a candy cane factory supervisor who loses his job and finds himself by going around the country in a food truck making authentic candy canes. With Will Ferrel’s Elf character.

3 Likes

I find it soothing to watch because it looks so easy, but I bet it’s a skill that takes a long time to really master. Not unlike pottery. My pottery instructor told me it took her seven years to really master being able to sit down and throw something in the exact shape she had in mind. After my first few tries at the wheel I could believe it.

2 Likes

Rick Mercer visited the old Ganong chocolate factory in St Stephen, New Brunswick, where the world’s first (and still manufactured) chocolate bar, the Pal-o-mine, still sold in the old-timey design package.

Skip to the 3’56’’ mark if you wish, to where they make ‘Chicken Bones’, a cinnamon red candy with a chocolate inside, so dear to Maritimers.

1 Like

That’s exactly what I was thinking - “Man, he makes it look so easy. I bet I would absolutely suck at this.”

Also, I really want a freshly made warm candy cane. Yum yum yum yum.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.