Making hard candy on a restored Victorian machine

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2018/07/16/making-hard-candy-on-a-restore.html

4 Likes

I really love the Lofty Pursuits videos though I get a small sad that I can’t just teleport across the country to visit their store.

1 Like

Mmm yeah… Victorian hard candy. That’s so hot. Do they come in little ankle shapes?

2 Likes

5 Likes

Maaayyybeeeee…

3 Likes

I can attest to the fact that Lofty Pursuits makes very good hard candies. I have been slowly working my way through my order of their black currant drops.

3 Likes

I’ve visited the candy shop in Skagway that makes the candy like this (heating/folding/etc) and I could have sworn they were using the roller machine, too. It was MESMERIZING to watch! So cool.

1 Like

Road trip! :candy:

3 Likes

Do they make Horehound drops? I adore those things.

2 Likes

They do! Both in drop and humbug form.

1 Like

Hmm. 2,879 miles per google… might be a better idea to fly.

They also do mail order.

2 Likes

It’s more of wanting to go watch in person.

2 Likes

I’d write them but they have that goddammotherfucking picture puzzle CAPTCHA which is nearly impossible to solve. Fortunately for me, being in Austin I have a couple of places to go to that have the original (to me at any rate) Claey’s Candies horehound drops The Big Top here specializes in odd candies, but does not make their own.

I will never think of MPG the same way again.

2 Likes

Skagway is on the beach, so it’s very accessible. Lots of people without much money got up there, so shipping probably wasn’t expensive. Getting it over to the actual Klondike was probably more expensive than getting it up to Alaska.

So maybe it never went further. Though why it didn’t go to Nome when the gold seekers went over there, that could be a mystery.

Skagway was Soapy Smith’s town, newcomers faced a lot of risks. But it was “US soil”, and a lot of people were a bit troubled by discovering that the actual gold rush was in Canada. That’s why they sent up Sam Steele of the Mounties to make sure law & order stood in Dawson.

Some people made money from the gold, but of those relative few, even fewer kept their money. But plenty of others went up with some niche, like bread baking or candy or lingerie, and “made a killing” since those things were not plentiful, while gold was relatively easy to come by. For those who struck gold, it was a time of luxury, and those who had something of value were better able to separate that gold from the owners. It took a lot of effort to get to the actual Klondike where the gold was, some got up there and turned around almost right away. Others shifted to other things. I think Jack London did do some mining, it’s been a while since I read the biography, but as I recall he had some success either building boats, or piloting boats past a certain point. And of course, what he took out of the Klondike were the stories, which probably made him ore money than any gold he could have mined.

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.