What is the most shameful line of work?

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2024/04/18/what-is-the-most-shameful-line-of-work.html

3 Likes

Billionaire

41 Likes

Conservative Politician.

Billionaire Conservative Politician? Pass the axe, Eugene.

35 Likes

Prosperity preacher, like Joel Osteen.

55 Likes

Arms dealer? CEO?

That’s not a line of work, though.

24 Likes

Any scientist who works in the fossil fuels industry to help them extract more fuel.

You know better.

21 Likes

They don’t, though. How it’s taught at university is very one-sided, especially if you’re at one of the higher rated schools for that type of engineering.

12 Likes

Look Up GIF by Sesame Street

29 Likes

My insurance keeps trying to get me to visit their doctor to “ensure that I’m receiving the best care possible”. I see that as a clear attempt to restrict the healthcare I receive by adding a gatekeeper they pay, and refusing to go. I told the last CSR that the insurance company would chop me up and sell me for parts if they thought it would help their bottom line. Keep calling back if you want, I ain’t going. (I wasn’t mean to the CSR, I just let them know why I was refusing to obey.)

17 Likes

Tax reduction advisor to the super-rich

10 Likes

My favorite example: decided to try for catastrophic-only health insurance, which wouldn’t cover anything at all, let alone things like maternal or well baby care, or infertility, or other such. It would be just in case of big emergencies. At that point in my life I hadn’t had any medical issues at all (other than nearsightedness, which again wouldn’t be covered), but also had just left the only job I’ve ever had that came with health insurance, so this was my only shot at getting any kind of coverage at all. They turned me down for “the potential for future infertility” (which they wouldn’t cover anyway). I was 4 months pregnant at the time.

27 Likes

Oh, and I wanted to add a bit, but I’m not sure if it belongs in an edit or a separate comment. This is likely a tangent, but if anyone is near Russellville, Arkansas, and needs a doctor that is welcoming to LGBTQ+ folk, Dr. Blake Dixon has been amazing. I default to suspicion of the entire medical establishment, but the whole office has been exceptionally respectful of treating me right as a trans woman.

21 Likes

People who scam others, or sell over priced services to people who don’t know better. :confused:

14 Likes

Easy: Real Estate Developer. Absolute scum of the earth.

11 Likes

At this point, anyone who has gone through higher education, let alone getting a graduate degree, and hasn’t understood the connection between carbon and climate change is a certified moron. Nothing more to be said, then.

17 Likes

Paid TFG rally audience participant.

15 Likes

Oh, yeah. Mine keeps calling me to go over the medications my doctors prescribe for me, ostensibly to ensure I’m “getting the best care possible”. For every single one they ask “Do you think this is actually helping you?”. “Let’s see - without the antidepressant I can’t function, and with it I’m able to get through the day - I suspect maybe it’s actually working, but I’m happy to hear your opinion as a non-medical-professional.” Yeesh.

13 Likes

I have a severe dislike for an acquaintance (and his job) that is paid huge sums of money for over promising and under delivering outsourcing services.

Meanwhile he attracts maga type friends who you would think would be critical of his career but are instead to eager to overlook the negatives in trade for things like all expenses paid trips to The Masters.

5 Likes

Private equity and think tanks are two things where I can’t think of any positive value whatsoever, just destroying what other people have built or are trying to build.

21 Likes

Oh… I just thought of another one, tangentially related to think tanks… right wing radio host or right wing podcaster.

21 Likes