Zombies would lose the war because Vultures would peck them to bits

[Permalink]

And all those Ice Zombies up north would be a veritable Feast for Crows.

7 Likes

Zombies are losing the PR battle.

They have gone from scary monsters, to bird and bear food.

2 Likes

With the inclusion of vultures, the total number of species able to prevent the zombie apocalypse stands at approximately 1,000,027. Not including, you know, the basic laws of thermodynamics.

6 Likes

Wouldn’t the rules of the Zombie Apocalypse dictate that animals feasting on the undead would in turn themselves become zombies? I don’t know about you, but brain-hungry undead vultures and bears seem like a scenario that wouldn’t favour the living. Would make a great HBO series though.

8 Likes

There aren’t really any organisms that can survive and prosper in such a wide range of species. The only way the Zombie Apocalypse could happen is if you posit a supernatural mechanism that creates the zombies.

3 Likes

There aren’t really any organisms that can bring the dead back to life. :wink:

5 Likes

That’s the whole problem, with the premise of The Walking Dead…after a week or so, they would fall to pieces, and the zombie apocalypse is over…

I think we need to defer to the relevant source materials here. Night of the Living dead (1968) show zombies feasting on animals and Evil Dead (1981) includes reanimated animals. As does Pet Cemetery (1989).

I think my point holds.

3 Likes

First you have a zombie problem, so you get some vultures. Now you have two problems.

9 Likes

wait… wait… I know this one

“… and then winter comes and all the gorillas freeze to death”

1 Like

Vultures are carrion eaters. They’re not good at eating into bodies that haven’t rotted a bit, so zombie vultures aren’t going to attack live humans just to get the brains. Attacking zombies is also unlikely; vultures normally don’t eat anything moving, except maybe the occasional dead cow floating down the river or getting dragged off by hyenas or whatever, so probably only a few really smart (or really dumb) vultures will try eating zombies. They may get to eat the occasional zombie that’s rotted too much to keep walking, or an arm or two that’s fallen off, but those aren’t the zombies that we’re worried about any more.

2 Likes

What, now we’re quoting JWZombie?

1 Like

3 Likes

Zombies were great before a bunch of nerds who don’t even watch zombie movies decided zombies are a sci-fi concept slash “keep calm and carry on”-level twee lets-run-this-into-the-ground meme, as opposed to the only true cinematic (ie non-literary) horror monster.

This wildlife federation thing is actually quite a nice idea as far as jumping on the zombie bandwagon for educational purposes goes, but the true answer to any of these situations is that zombies would do whatever works for a given scene or even shot of the movie. They wouldn’t be wiped out by vultures because the zombies need to be alive to dismember the characters in the movie. Plus probably the budget doesn’t extend to epic zombie vs vulture battles, tho if it did, then turns out the whateverrr that causes zombification can pass to vultures now and we have zombie vultures dismembering the characters in the movie.

edit: boingboing get better smileys please this is incorrect:- :frowning:

1 Like

I checked know your meme, couldn’t find this one. Might you be hatin’?

yes i’m hating the terrible mistreatment of zombies by the internet .__.

edit: haha i posted that without even looking but check out the example image in the ‘contemporary usage’ section :smiley:

Sure, but what about the “sci-fi concept slash “keep calm and carry on”-level twee lets-run-this-into-the-ground”

meme?

That’s ok you don’t have to understand my post

World War Z adds in the premise that the meat of zombies becomes toxic, presumably specifically to cover this.
The other problem I see with your vultures is that there just aren’t enough of them. Perhaps, in places that practice sky burial, there would be enough to make an impact (though they’ve been dying in droves because of tranquilisers knocking their kidneys out) but population of wild vultures in the United Kingdom? Can probably count them on the fingers of one hand.
I don’t think we could rely on the sudden availability of carrion leading to a scavenger population explosion, especially in northern latitudes inside 20 years, by which point either we’re extinct or we’ve found alternatives.

1 Like