Trump sends 1,000 immigrants to Mojave Desert prison, staff say it's unsafe & predict 'detainee deaths'

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2018/06/23/victorville.html

2 Likes

No one should be sent to Victorville, ever.

11 Likes

No longer a prison. Now it’s a concentration camp. They’re not planning on upping the staff because the point is for both cons and immigrants to die. That’s the goal. The GOP sees it as a win. And they’ll blame it on the democrats because: the media is willing to believe republican lies, while holding democrats to a higher standard.

32 Likes

you’ll never ever get trump voters to care about the male prisoners, in fact they will likely see the deaths as a positive thing and root for more

the only hope is to keep following the children and maybe just maybe endless coverage of children in cages with their moms (the dads will probably be separated because I think the law/agreement only forces one parent) will stop the “red wave” that believe-it-or-not is actually what the polls are showing could happen - they get 57+ seats in the senate, it’s Bush with the Iraq War all over again, another decade of non-stop setbacks for society

19 Likes

His hatred of people with a copper complexion is so at odds with his own efforts to appear tan. His karma is to look like a Halloween pumpkin not hauled away in a timely manner. Don’t fret orange fool, the trashman cometh. What in any god’s name possesses anyone to be so vicious to people who have never harmed him just to appease the sick minds of a base of supporters who are even more twisted. Boggles the mind.

18 Likes

The Mojave desert site has been picked because it is remote thus out of sight, and in such an inhospitable location that protests are very difficult.

Crimes against humanity? Now that the us has dropped out if the UN human rights commission, perhaps it would be possible for the commission to bring charges against the administration in international court.

19 Likes

24 Likes

I like the slant of your jib! What does it take to get this process started? Can we do a Kickstarter? :grin:

7 Likes

This is all about the wall. He’s already said that a gov shut down is coming in Sept if he doesn’t get funding. He’s looking to say “Hey you don’t want camps, give me a wall”.

8 Likes

18 Likes

We got to 7 just weeks ago, now we are so close to 8. Call it out, or watch it happen.

18 Likes

It’s not so much that the WH is full of criminals, it’s that they are so incredibly awful at planning and implementing Trump’s EOs. Any construction project manager that was this horrible at their job would be gone before the first shovel hit dirt.

2 Likes

I’m having trouble finding an official capacity listing for this facility. Back in December, the population was listed at 1,180. At 1500 now, it would seem overcrowded. Nearly doubling the December number, without adding staff? It’s the black hole of Calcutta all over again. I do not like this one bit.

8 Likes

I have a friend that worked out there. He lived in Boron and went all over the desert and mountains to work on cell phone sites. It actually sounded like a fun gig. He’d be in a super remote place all by himself, and then encounter a wild goat herd. He would also find that crazy christian groups would break into the cell phone sites on the tops of mountains and install their own equipment and broadcast christian pirate radio. Of course he’d find it and tear it all out.

9 Likes

I’m suddenly reminded of a couple stories by Poe.

4 Likes

For anyone wondering how normal German and Austrian people could let all those terrible things happen right before their eyes and not do anything about it, you may be about to find out. Living history, exciting times!

11 Likes

To bend over backwards to be fair, the place will probably be much safer and need less staff when it is filled with immigrants rather the criminals. As bad as prison conditions are, they are made far worse by the people in them, and the rules needed to keep them under control. It only takes a few violent people with impulse control problems to be a real PITA, and prison is FULL of them. Because contrary to Herr Cheese Doodle’s assertions, MOST of the people trying to get into this country are not violent thugs. (admittedly a few are, and that may constitute a large enough minority to make this place a living hell)

And what do those stations provide that the legal Christian stations don’t? Probably some apocalyptic message from their narrow sect.

Concentration camps don’t even have to be the deliberate death machines of the Nazis. Plain old neglect and indifference, driven by crony contracts and profit-taking, will get the job done.

7 Likes

This is what comes to mind regarding that pirate radio:

Hey, they might just end up taking over the site to survive.
Sane people don’t riot when in prison, they launch a coup.

1 Like