1,000-room palace for Turkey's President Erdogan will cost twice initial $615M pricetag

If the Nitwit In Charge had two brain cells, he could get the local university involved and turn the place into a technology showcase. (OTOH, then it’d be a big fat hacking target… but then it could also be a computer security showcase.)

This way it just looks that certain part of his anatomy is rather small.

3 Likes

Because hubris.

2 Likes

Agree with everything else you posted, but I do believe the Erdogan is quite popular. Scandals or not, he’s been winning elections quite handily.

However, he is very unpopular among the Turkish elites who share more of our cultural values (and are more likely to speak English).

I suspect (but am not terribly well-informed about Turkish politics) that he is probably trailing most of his supporters in the push of Islam into the public sphere and the desire to suppress certain minorities. There is still a very large rural population that do not feel they significantly benefited from Turkey’s pre-Erdogan policies.

2 Likes

One of the wings of his dwelling is actually a dedicated grow house. Why do you think those “trees” cost four to six thousand dollars each?

I think you might be partial correct about his popularity… but I don’t think it necessarily correlates with class (somewhat maybe), but also to ethnic identity. But the basis of his popularity does rest in his push for more public acknowledgment of Islam, which is probably why he has lower class support overall.

Of course one man’s corruption is another man’s victory dance, so there is that. I doubt supporters see projects like this as evidence of corruption.

Keeping in mind that even after the fall of the Ottoman empire and the postwar population swaps of the Sykes-Picot treaty, Turkey is still a deeply ethnically diverse country. Ataturks nationalist ideology was in part aimed at eliminated ethnic minorities, through both expelling them, and through incorporation of them via language education, and the like. But there remains serious problems for people who are not Turkish by ethnicity, and this remains a source of tension in the country. Look no further than the Kurds for that… Erdogan might be slightly better than his predecessors, but he still tends towards suppression of ethnic minorities, especially those who have historically been viewed as problematic.

2 Likes

But does he have a room dedicated to watching the Room?

3 Likes

Afaik, Erdogan has already won that battle. Military and judiciary have been cut to size in the last two years, with nay a word from “western” powers.

2 Likes

like the denial of Armenian Genocide at the very least.

2 Likes

Another round of “austerity” is in order.

I’d quite agree. If what I’ve gathered from the papers and the few Turks I’ve talked politics with (all of whom hated Erdogan - but they were part of the secular elite, where elite = Western middle class) is accurate, he is probably suppressing the minorities less than his supporters would like. That doesn’t mean treating them terribly well.

However, speaking with Armenians and Turks (Toronto is pretty multi-cultural) has not left me with great hope that this will be resolved soon. Both sides seemed to be intent on playing into their counterparts narrative for them. (My only hope is that ex-pats that are a generation removed are often far more warlike than those who actually live in the affected areas.)

1 Like

It can go both ways. On the one hand, you have NORAID. On the other, there’s an area of London where Greek and Turkish Cypriots live peacefully alongside each other and run businesses together.

1 Like

“Hey! You said this palace was gonna cost $615000000, now it’s double? Who the hell is the project manager?”

2 Likes

Meanwhile in my part of town, once a year elderly Greek and Macedonian gentlemen threaten to throw punches at each other (and occasionally do!) over who owns Alexander the Great.

There’s a statue of him nearby, and one has to cross the street to avoid the parkette on his “birthday”.

1 Like

Only when he’s tired of watching The Apartment in his The Apartment apartment…

2 Likes

I am not familiar with BMSs but I would imagine you could build them with out access to the internet, not that would be terribly effective since the last few revelations, but should deter script kiddies.

2 Likes

It’s for all the lights in the growhouse to make sure those $2400 feminised “trees” are producing dank bud leaves

1 Like

You will always have some internet access. The users will want to control their room light from their cellphone, program their heaters from afar, and so on. And if you have a hole, a skilled enough adversary will get in.

And then there are the rogue accesspoints that somehow grow within the airgapped networks…

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.