1 billion hours played of Civilization

Interestingly, the article doesn’t seem to mention “Civilization: Call to Power” or Avalon Hill’s “Advanced Civilization” computer game. Both bastard off-shoots of the Civilization family.

1 Like

My closest friend and I bought a copy of Masters of Orion to play on the computer in my dorm room (he didn’t have one), just before I was leaving for ~4 months. I came back to find him, still sitting at the terminal in my room, surrounded by empty pizza boxes and beer bottles, and a rather dirty set of bedsheets. It twitches the right lizard brain twitch, indeed.

7 Likes

I can’t tell you how much I want to live in a town called Soapy Jamboree.

7 Likes

6 Likes

I had to power up Steam and look at my stats to make sure this article wasn’t about me.

9 Likes

Iif I had been smarter, I would have turned my personal experience into a business opportunity a la Zynga.

1 Like

Well, if we could do that, I’ll share my Google stock and we’ll buy the godamn company :wink:

3 Likes

I’ve wound up with legitimate copies of II (and Test of Time), III, IV, and V over the years, and alas never got around to trying any of them. Perhaps on some level I am afraid. (I might say the same about Nethack.)

Are the older versions still worth playing at all?

2 Likes

I’ll never forget the first time I played Civ. My friend Lee, at New College, showed me his new game one night. I told him I thought it looked dumb. I was used to arcade-style games, shooting games, and driving games. He told me to try it.

Sometime after midnight, he went to bed, and I let myself out around dawn.

6 Likes

2 and 3 remain awesome. 3 more so imo. Alpha Centauri is still my goto though- basically close to 2 mechanically but set in the future, and available on GOG.

3 Likes

Entertaining, 'specially for Our Friends To The North:

4 Likes

“its latest, 2010’s Civilization V”

While not very well regarded,Civilization: Beyond Earth /is/ still a civilization game. Arguable, so is Starships, as it’s expressly tied to C:BE.

1 Like

Did you know there is finally a new release of Nethack?

Nethack 3.6.0

I am truly, deeply, sorry. (no I am not)

3 Likes

Starships is quite playable. Not a deep game though. Ripe for expansion!!

I was going to post the video that @wrecksdart already posted…

So instead I’ll just add my name to the list of people that Played Civ 2 a lot back in the day and have avoided it since.

6 Likes

There’s a Dutch company linking up cities - recycling bins indicate when they need emptying, etc etc - it’s starting. it’s too obvious - there’s money to be made reducing overall municipal costs. The losers will be the pork barrel lot - and frankly, hard-pressed citizens shouldn’t give a damn.

1 Like

They’ve had indicators on their bins the whole time.

1 Like

2 Likes
3 Likes

2 Likes