Experience the best of strategy gaming in Sid Meier's Civ VI

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2018/07/29/experience-the-best-of-strateg.html

Now with 0% Red Shell!

3 Likes

If I didn’t have a job, a family, or any responsibilities at all, I would love to play this game. I last played Civ III in the early 00s and nearly dropped out of grad school because of it. It was a fantastic game and I’m sure that Civ VI is even better.

5 Likes

But not anymore. Europa Universalis 4 makes Civ look so crude and clunky that nobody I’ve known who has started playing EU4 has gone back to Civ.

1 Like

It may be worth checking out Civ VI if you haven’t. But it’s built on the same engine as Civ V that has been disavowed by the designer (it was based on a strategy game where chokepoints weren’t as destructive to tactical play). Civilization Beyond Earth uses the same engine, and its ugly maps and bizarre unit restrictions aren’t ahistorical.

The worst thing about Civ VI is the right-wing revanchist revisions to basic gameplay. One of the nicest things about 4X games is that you can re-shape the environment. You have to—to mine or grow resources. The omnipresent “worker,” the old reliable standby from every Civ that requires maintenance but is cheap to create, has been replaced by the “builder” who disappears with your down payment after only a set number of tasks. Replacing “workers” with “builders” is just one of the problems. Who actually thinks “Religion" is about casting lightning bolts in fights to the death? Who thinks that governments are just a series of cards you can choose?

Civ IV may be old, may not even run on modern Python installations, but it’s not as bad as the successors! In fact, I’m going to go play that ol’ chestnut now!

1 Like

Civ VI regularly goes on sale at $20 these days.

2 Likes

Pft, everyone knows Civil IV is the best Civ game.

It’s got Spock and the Attomic Warmaster Ghandi.

2 Likes

1 Like

I’ll admit that I was a fan of the “advisors” in Civ II. They definitely injected some levity. OTOH, the AI was stupid in a predictable way. ISTR getting my but kicked the first few games in III or IV when the AI was now smart enough to wait until it had enough forces before attacking.

1 Like

I enjoyed the heck out of that game but it did annoy me that it was more about figuring out how to game the system than enjoying the fantasy. Well, I guess it’s that way with most games.

I’m still expecting one more large, adds new game-play elements, expansion before Civ VI is ‘done’. If you haven’t already bought the base Civ VI then you can probably wait for the finished game before dropping $50+ on the game.

Does it still force you to install the incredibly intrusive STEAM DRM? If so, they can pound sand and I’ll stick to Alpha Centauri, Civ II and III.

1 Like

Alpha Centauri was one of the first computer games I bought with my own money and is still one of my favourite games to play. If someone could increase the resolution, slap on some updated graphics, and remake the project movies (keeping the same voice overs) without touching anything else then I’d probably even buy it again.

1 Like

Alpha Centauri will run on modern PC’s. There’s a dedicated community that keeps patching and tweaking it.

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.