Civilization VII officially in development

Originally published at: Civilization VII officially in development | Boing Boing

2 Likes

I am sure Nuclear Gandhi will return once again.

12 Likes
12 Likes

While there is debate over the exact age of the Hindu epics, historians say they were probably written at least
two millennia ago. Rao says this in itself is proof the texts are factual because humans did not develop the art of fiction writing until a few centuries back.

That would mean EVERYONE’s old stories are true, which is bonkers.

15 Likes

Pretty sure fiction writing began when the first caveman exaggerated the size of the mammoth he painted on a wall.

16 Likes

It was before that. And it wasn’t a mammoth. Or on a wall.

14 Likes

From the screenshot it looks like I will be able to pick Mario as my leader. Princess Peach better be available too. Dammit, now I want a whole Nintendo themed version of Civ, kinda like Mario V Rabbids, but with The Mushroom Kingdom and Hyrule at each others throat’s

I am curious to see what they actually do with it. I played a lot of Civ 6 when it came out, and while I bought all the DLC packs in a sale at some point, I never got back on the wagon. I find myself going to Stellaris when I want that 4x hit these days.

I hope they are able to find something to shake the formula up some though, because I know that I will buy it in any case.

5 Likes
6 Likes

* looks up Y Sudershan Rao*

Of course he was a BJP appointee.

10 Likes

Civ 6 is currently 90% off on steam (until March 2). I just got my copy for $8 CAD. Even if I never play it, I will still feel like this is a good deal.

11 Likes

I have played way too much civ in my life, and I am still playing civ6, currently 60% of the way through the 307 steam achievements it has. Yes, I need help. :wink:

I wonder if they’ll stick to their “one in, one out” design principle. Traditionally Civ has added one new major mechanic in each version and removed one. However, that changed with DLC, as some of the ideas in civ5’s DLC became core game mechanics in civ6. Hopefully, I expect the same to hold in civ7, with them expanding on some of the fun DLC they’ve added over the past five years.

IMHO, the espionage and diplomacy systems are the two biggest areas that need work. Diplomacy with computer players is essentially a joke, and espionage generally is massively underdeveloped.

One thing I will say, though, is that the community mods have really made the game perpetually fun. I’m amazed at how much community customizability that system has offered, allowing the community to add new wonders, units, or terrain to the game, complete with 3d objects, new civilizations and mechanics, and essentially new minigame modes depending on the mod. Firaxis was smart to add that level of flexibility, and I hope that trend continues.

14 Likes

I played a lot of small hex Civ (Civ 2), but the move to large hexes in 3 put me off and I haven’t played it since. Civ 7 will probably still have them; they make the world look like Settler of Catan tiles and kills off a lot of the classic wargame fun for me.

Fortunately, there’s still Alpha Centuari…

3 Likes

Well thank Bob we’ve finally decided to reboot this whole flaps hands in the air, civilization thing. It’s been a mess since, well… 2016? 2001? 1992? 1955? 1939? 1914? 18… well. You get the point. Reboot reboot reboot!

2 Likes

Isn’t Civ 2 (and 3) squares rather than hexes?

7 Likes

Yeah, 1 was a square grid, 2 through 4 (and Alpha Centauri) were isometric square grids, then 5 and up used hex maps.

8 Likes

The change to hexes and the elimination of death balls was one of the best things 5 brought to the series. I vastly prefer the style of combat that evolved from that change.

4 Likes

You are right, isometric squares. I do prefer that style of units and combat tho.

Alpha Centuari + Alien Crossfire is on Gog.com for 5.99. Runs fine on my 2012 Macbook Pro (El Capitan).

6 Likes

To better simulate real-world conditions, Civilization VIII will open with a well-developed, advanced civilization which the player is challenged to reduce to chaos using conspiracy theories, fascism, and misinformational rubbish like this.

14 Likes

I’m afraid there are too many people that would enjoy that…

6 Likes

32 bit or 64 bit? 10.15 broke 32 bit intel compatibility. (I have an m1 with macos 13)

3 Likes