$10,000 audiophile ethernet cable

mmmm… € 23,95

1 Like

It wasn’t a person. toss up between a computer algorithm that they use to produce bogus college papers, or 1000 monkeys on 1000 typewriters.

2 Likes

All audio cables are directional.

Well this is common knowledge, at least, but my bigger problem is with air directionality.

Air’s just as directional as cables, but I’m having trouble getting it aligned precisely in my listening room such that all the air is facing the right direction.

Can anyone point me towards a good source for static air that can be positioned and optimized as needed? Cost is no object.

15 Likes

I was going to write the same thing. Unfortunately some audiophiles prefer to listen not the music, but the hi-fi system. So for instance they listen oly string quartets because their monotrieode amplifier doesn’t handle the sound level required to listen to a full orchestra or an hard rock gig.

And the craziest part of that is you don’t own an iPhone… right?

They only need to sell one.

Aaaaand is no longer on their site. Wonder why.

18 Likes

…but these guys are (were? the link is down now) advocating use of these for digital signals, which as I see it would not be affected by the mumbo-jumbo they’re harking on about. In the blurb they recommended connecting in a certain direction between a router/nas, which is absolute, complete and utter nonsense.

Oh, and if you’re routing analogue signals through ethernet cables and are actually worried about interference, CAT6 would be a better bet - shielded as well as being twisted pair wires compared to your CAT5 setup :wink: These “beauties” are apparently CAT7, which I don’t even know what the specs are.

3 Likes

Cat 6 is not necessarily shielded, any more.

2 Likes

“Men, like electrons, go farthest when they are smoothest.” - Jean “Pure-Sound” Paul

2 Likes

This is exactly why people use vacuum tubes in their amplifiers. They use the vacuum to create airflow to align the air in a positive direction towards the amps. The air moving towards the amps allows the sound to then fill in the space behind the air, creating a positive listening environment.

3 Likes

My bad. I cut so many open over the years and always found shielding, I thought it was part of the standard.

That’s going beyond “fair”, it has absolutely nothing to do with this product, which is being marketed to keep your digital audio bits “danceable”.

The original shipped cable were flat 8 core. I have no idea why. Currently it’s running on Cat-6, because that’s what I was running for network.

But yeah, for digital it’s even more hilarious. I was just pointing out that, in principle, people could use this for analogue, where obviously the direction of the signal is terribly important. Obviously.

1 Like

Calling it a product is going beyond fair.

It’s not a “product” like someone selling “ghost farts” on eBay, it’s a product that you’d spend $0.50 on at Monoprice.

1 Like

So bummed they sold out (right?); but Google to the rescue, still available!
http://www.amazon.com/263-Audioquest-Diamond-Ethernet-Cable/dp/B0073HJVSK/ref=cm_cr_pr_product_top

(I do like the “Vodka” - an impressive moniker, no?)

And an unbiased :wink: review!
http://www.the-ear.net/review-hardware/audioquest-ethernet-cables-pt2-ethernet-cable

‘The-Ear’, lovin’ it! They’re so particular:

“In this second part of my review of Ethernet cables, I am continuing my research into differences between various types of AudioQuest Ethernet cable. This time the most expensive ones are compared to the best of the cheaper types assessed earlier. For this second test I have changed the set-up of my network due to the experience last time.”

1 Like

Don’t forget the religious…

The reviews on the 1.5m cable at Amazon are hilarious:

"I never noticed how much data my cheap Ethernet cords lost until I switched to this one.

All of those YouTube comments that look misspelled or like they’re missing words? Actually a result of data lost in transmission. After switching to this cable, they turned into eloquent speeches.

It’s a little expensive, but I’d never go back."

9 Likes