10,000 volunteers drop out of Tokyo Olympics

Originally published at: 10,000 volunteers drop out of Tokyo Olympics | Boing Boing

8 Likes

This is getting ridiculous. The games are scheduled to start in 8 weeks. Are there no grownups in the current Japanese government who’ll tell the IOC sleazeballs and their greedpig cronies “if you want to host your international super-spreader event, you’ll do it under our strict public health regulations and without $8.7-billion in public funds”?

19 Likes

If the tickets, accommodations, and spending cash was free, I still wouldn’t go. What the f@ck is wrong with these greedy aholes?

16 Likes

Seeing as how only 3% of Japan is fully vaccinated, going full steam ahead with the Olympics seems like a clusterfk of Trumpian proportions

17 Likes

It’s extraordinary how governments continue to kowtow to the IOC and how that kleptocracy has acquired the privileges accorded to nation states. It’s time more countries did what Norway did when the IOC demanded things like:

• They demand to meet the king prior to the opening ceremony. Afterwards, there shall be a cocktail reception. Drinks shall be paid for by the Royal Palace or the local organizing committee.
  • Separate lanes should be created on all roads where IOC members will travel, which are not to be used by regular people or public transportation.
  • A welcome greeting from the local Olympic boss and the hotel manager should be presented in IOC members’ rooms, along with fruit and cakes of the season. (Seasonal fruit in Oslo in February is a challenge …)
  • The hotel bar at their hotel should extend its hours “extra late” and the minibars must stock Coke products.
  • The IOC president shall be welcomed ceremoniously on the runway when he arrives.
  • The IOC members should have separate entrances and exits to and from the airport.
  • During the opening and closing ceremonies a fully stocked bar shall be available. During competition days, wine and beer will do at the stadium lounge.
  • IOC members shall be greeted with a smile when arriving at their hotel.
  • Meeting rooms shall be kept at exactly 20 degrees Celsius at all times.
  • The hot food offered in the lounges at venues should be replaced at regular intervals, as IOC members might “risk” having to eat several meals at the same lounge during the Olympics.

Oslo-OL kan bli to ukers pampefest: IOC krever gratis sprit på stadion og cocktail-fest med Kongen – VG (for those who speak Norsk).

14 Likes

Makes me wonder how I can get a job with the IOC and see just how far I can push it.

• The IOC representative Rocketpjs shall be met with a brass band playing the Imperial march any time he shows up to events. Every third time ‘Staying Alive’ must be substituted, and the bass line must be played by at least 3 tubas.

• The tuba players must be in drag.

• Rocketpjs shall receive regular freshenings of his Gin & Soda, with variable fruit flavours depending on the color of his shirt.

• Rocketpjs shall be provided each hour with a range of shirts in various colors and designs, to be chosen by mood and how well the Belarussian team is doing in Equestrian events.

• All wait staff must wear large bell bottoms in the Morning, and colorful suspenders in the afternoon. NEVER at the same time.

• Rocketpjs and staff must be provided immediately with cold beer when they snap their fingers. If they clap their hands it must be chilled wine or a double ceasar with celery stick. Consult the current rankings in decathlon to determine how spicy the ceasar should be.

16 Likes

The summer Olympics is my favorite sporting event to watch. I’m wondering if it isn’t time to just blow out the torch completely. It doesn’t do the host cities any good and it doesn’t do any good for diplomacy and it doesn’t really seem great for most of the athletes.

Also, I’m having trouble with the algorithm for converting decathlon rankings to levels of spiciness.

6 Likes

Good, fuck the Olympics hopefully the rest quit for their own health and that of their families.

2 Likes

I’m going to be a bit more inventive with my music choice

3 Likes

This sounds like over the top backstage rider stuff that bands and similar performers get up to. Y’know, the infamous “no brown m&ms”.

3 Likes

https://www.cnn.com/2021/06/04/world/india-variant-dominant-uk-intl-gbr/index.html

“We now have evidence that delta is (a lot) more transmissible, partially vax resistant & more severe. It’s now 80% of our cases. The genie is out of the bottle.”

Suggestion for the IOC theme:

3 Likes

Welcome to the Rome is Burning phase of late stage capitalism. All athletes and employees will please report to the lions’ stadium.

Well done the volunteers. Hope the rest join them in walking out on this unbelievably dangerous absurdity.

1 Like

That clause was buried in Van Halen’s rider to make sure that the venue read and adhered to the whole thing (including safety protocols). The IOC’s rider is all about ego-stroking and expensive freebies.

6 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.