$10 million painting is stolen for the third time since 1988

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2021/01/19/10-million-painting-is-stolen-for-the-third-time-since-1988.html

3 Likes

I say it’s that hat.

5 Likes

Stealing this specific painting is something of a right of passage for up-and-coming art thieves, a way of proving that they are ready for the big leagues.

5 Likes

Don’t underestimate the nostalgic appeal common to all such depictions of rosy-cheeked, preadolescent alcoholism. Also that wash of light across the negative space above the figures — they say if you stare into that void long enough you are drawn through the flatness of the liminal space and emerge in 17th century Rotterdam.

4 Likes

At least they didn’t try to steal this one. Jeff Goldblum can tell us how well that ended.

3 Likes

from the NYT

The website for the museum, which is closed to visitors because of the pandemic, has made no mention of the theft.

That’s weird, why would you block traffic to a website because of Covid? And of course it doesn’t mention the theft, it wouldn’t have been updated since the pandemic started. Journalism today, my god.

3 Likes

I think I remember that in the late 90s certain US government websites would shut down at the end of business hours. It seems like this must be a false memory because it makes no sense, but if the practice had always been to shut the systems down for the night…

2 Likes

because beer

2 Likes

You are rite. But wrong.

(Open goal for pedant. Sorry/Thanks.)

4 Likes

This has given me a great idea, though…if someone was a current day struggling starving artist, and their paintings kept being stolen from galleries and art shops, mightn’t that elevate an awareness of their art?

Asking for a friend.

1 Like

Ah, you got me! That’s what I get for posting while drunk. I will never live this one down.

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.