Van Gogh swiped last night during museum smash-and-grab

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2020/03/30/van-gogh-swiped-last-night-dur.html

5 Likes

Everything must Gogh!

Seriously though, I hope they find the dirtbag and the painting.

19 Likes

Saw this at the Guardian: Van Gogh painting stolen from Dutch museum | Art and design | The Guardian

A painting by Vincent van Gogh with an estimated value of up to £5m has been stolen from a Dutch museum currently closed due to the coronavirus pandemic.

The thieves took Van Gogh’s Parsonage Garden at Neunen in Spring after smashing through the front glass door of the Singer Laren museum, in Laren, at around 3.15am on Sunday morning. No other art is believed to be missing.

The burglar alarm had been triggered by the break-in but the thieves had fled by the time police officers arrived.

During a press conference broadcast on Youtube, the museum’s director, Jan Rudolph de Lorm, said he was “incredibly pissed off” by the loss of the painting, which had been on loan from the Groninger Museum. The painting was stolen on the day Van Gogh was born 167 years ago.

13 Likes

Man. 2020 sucks.

This just ruined Thomas Crown Affair for me.

Here, and I’ve been led to believe for decades that priceless art was much harder to steal than an LCD TV.

12 Likes

More like Van Gone, amirite?

10 Likes
1 Like

So only a glass door was stopping a multi-million dollar painting from being stolen. Hmm. They were hoping for best behavior by all?

This makes me wonder what’s going to happen to crime levels in two months with half the police out sick and that $1200 check was spent long ago.

7 Likes

groans

4 Likes

Interesting that it was stolen on van Gogh’s birthday. Does this look like a commissioned heist?

8 Likes

yes, that strikes me as a premeditated thing, not a crime of opportunity.

6 Likes

The gallery would surely have been scoped out before it closed.

Are you implying this some kind was performance art?

1 Like

Check to see if anyone remembers a blue box.

12 Likes

Classic.

1 Like

Van Gogh swiped last night during museum smash-and-grab

But did he swipe left or right? :thinking:

6 Likes

Haven’t seen an image of this painting yet, and I really like it. Not glad it was stolen, but that’s the best I can make out things.

Pierce Brosnan and Rene Russo ruined it for me.

3 Likes

So…who does one even try to sell this to?

A Bond villain?

5 Likes

Organised crime? Billionaires and multi-millionaires who believe laws are for the little people?

5 Likes

“ Um yeah, me and my boys found this. Fell off a truck. Give me a fiver for it?”

1 Like