Police thwart robbery at gallery that has already had the same Rembrandt painting stolen four times

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2019/11/17/police-thwart-robbery-at-galle.html

1 Like

That picture is more trouble than it’s worth.

6 Likes

I bet the security guards curse Rembrandt’s name more than anyone has in 300 years.

1 Like

Seems the people who try to steal it are even more cursed.

2 Likes

I think we really need Bansky’s take on this.

The clue here is it being found in British Army locker. Stealing a painting from Dulwich is a task occasionally given on selection to a couple of British SF units. Covert Methods of Entry. They always get it back.

6 Likes

There’s really only two plausible ways to unload a stolen famous painting: Either you get the legal owners to pay a ransom for its return or you have a buyer lined up ahead of time.

Commissioning such an art theft is an incredibly selfish act even by rich asshole standards. Anyone who has the resources to steal a Rembrandt for their private collection almost certainly has the resources to commission a near-perfect copy by a living painter. And having the original doesn’t even get you bragging rights if you have to keep it secret, so the only real reason to take it is to deny everyone else the privilege of seeing it.

Never underestimate the power of Playboy idiots doing it for shits and giggles.

3 Likes

His what now?

1 Like

Well, he’s already tried to have it taken four times; what more do you want?

His shift.

1 Like

Hey, Pierce Brosnan can pop round and raid my art collection on any day.

3 Likes

Was it? According to the Met press release,

Neither painting had left the gallery grounds

I don’t know if that’s true, but I hope it is.

After three years? And with the gallery facing the costs of extra security and skyrocketing insurance premiums because they keep suffering thefts?

O, Sinner man!

1 Like

Maybe Rene Russo will drop by too, then I can raid her wardrobe while they’re out…

2 Likes

Four times? Man, these Ocean’s movies need to get some new plots…

1 Like

I’ll keep you informed. If I manage to fire up the video projector in time I can easily distract them for a couple of hours talking them through my collection of pictures of random watering cans on graveyards. Or induce a general state of torpor in the process. Either way should work for you; give me a buzz when you’re done.

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.