10 million pounds of human feces from New York/New Jersey are rotting in railcars stuck in a small Alabama town

I’m taking a wild guess that Adamsville and West Jefferson are predominantly African American.

5 Likes

The Mobro 4000 of 2018

5 Likes

The creme de la creme of NY winters in Alabama?

4 Likes

I just hate that Yankees can’t deal with their own shit!

4 Likes

7 Likes

Hear hear. It’s 75 right now where I am in Texas. Cool spring weather that we are lucky to have. Soon, it won’t even get down to 81 at night, let alone daytime high temp. I have a feelin’ it’s going to be a HOT HOT summer.

And to have stinkrot sitting 50 yards away for two months? I think I’d file an injunction, myself, if that were the case.

2 Likes

Yes, but remember that “It’s not just the heat, it’s the humidity” is primarily meant for places like Alabama. Grandma and my biological mother’s side of the family hail from Birmingham all the way down to the coast, and I’ve experienced some gol-danged hot and humid weather there.

2 Likes

Whenever people talk about smells like this I always remember our high school biology teacher teaching us how smells come from particulates (edit: @MikeR points out that it’s actually volatile organic compounds, but still physical stuff) engaging with receptors in your nose. :worried:

13 Likes

I came here to point out the same allusion.

2 Likes

This is a great illustration of the relationship between NY/NJ and the rest of the country.

3 Likes

You rang?

10 Likes

Literally. Chicago has been flushing its shit down to St. Louis for about 100 years now.

The only reason the water and fish are OK to consume past the Des Plaines river is because of the amount of dilution of Fecal Coliform bacteria once the Illinois river merges with a bunch of other rivers. (Fox, Sangamon, Des Plaines, Du Page, Missouri, Kankakee, maybe more).

5 Likes

Black Francis saw this coming decades ago https://genius.com/Pixies-monkey-gone-to-heaven-live-lyrics

1 Like

I can’t believe we’ve reached the point where it makes economic sense to ship human waste by train so it can be buried somewhere else far, far away. Progress!

I thought the usual procedure was to treat human waste, maybe converting it to useful fertilizer. Are some areas of the country so full of shit they can’t keep up?

8 Likes

I guess you could call it a night-soil train?

9 Likes

The invisible hand, doing what the invisible hand does best.

5 Likes

I haven’t read the original article – I’m really good at not doing that – but I can’t imagine why it can’t be sent back to NY/NJ? Do the train wheels only turn in one direction or something? I know they don’t want it back, but it’s theirs. I’m sure they paid the landfill company to take it, but…

I’m trying to think of any other situation where something stopped en route to someplace else would be allowed to just… sit there. Are they just writing off the train cars?

I guess I need to read the article now…

Ooo! They have “Epic” on the train cars. Nice.

“Big Sky Environmental” … that sounds like something Rockstar would make up for GTA 6.

Ah. “No zoning laws to prevent the waste from being stored.” I guess that’ll do it. I still find it mind boggling.

6 Likes

Hey, it wasn’t the yankees who put the biggest piece of shit from New York in the White House, now, was it? :poop:

7 Likes

Let’s try and avoid stereotyping a whole region given what must be a shitty situation for all involved, hm?

11 Likes

Welcome to…Trumplandia

But seriously why is it even legal to ship your waste out if state.

1 Like