100% diamond ring designed by Apple's Jony Ive and Marc Newson

They make it to fit you.

Am I the only one excited that we now have machines that can just make a big block of diamond that’s “cheap” enough that someone can hollow it out and throw most of it away?

Ok, it’s still more expensive than an equivalent lump of coal, but if you dug something that size and clarity out of the ground it would be the kind of macguffin people murdered kings over.

1 Like

Really only since DeBeers cornered the market and inflated prices.

Not quite …

It depends on how you look at it. DeBeers were the ones to cause a glut in the market, but kept retail flow to a trickle. Since other companies have managed to steal their thunder these past few decades (mainly because the Oppenheimers are currently disinterested in the diamond trade), and with newer procedures allowing companies to find extract more product, I’d assume big honkin’ diamonds are less rare or valuable than they used to be.

Still expensive, but not enough to go to war over, perhaps.

1 Like

I’ve heard that diamond is relatively easy to shatter.

I’ll bet this ring would, too.

You could supply it with pure diamond shims.

Diamonds are brittle. Removing diamond shards from a finger is probably preferable to amputation and reattachment.

Don’t assume that cultured means guilt free. DeBeers are involved in making cultured diamonds too, they just don’t like to talk about it.

2 Likes
1 Like

Oh goody! I get to be the first to say, “Hur, hur, you said ‘cleavage.’”

2 Likes

We need to figure out how to convince them that buying land and planting rainforest on it is a status symbol.

4 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.