12-year-old boy joins street busker for gorgeous cover of Leonard Cohen's "Hallelujah" (video)

Originally published at: 12-year-old boy joins street busker for gorgeous cover of Leonard Cohen's "Hallelujah" (video) | Boing Boing

3 Likes

Jeez stereotyping red heads much! /s

But seriously, he’s got a great voice! :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

10 Likes

If I am going to thank Shrek for anything, it’s this!

1 Like

Great voice! Although maybe it’s just me, but it’s a little weird to me to hear a 12 year old singing, “She tied you to the kitchen chair, she broke your throne and she cut your hair, and from your lips she drew the hallelujah”.

14 Likes

oh my god omg GIF by CBC

Seriously, they’re both fantastic!

1 Like

This is one of my favorite ukulele songs, that my daughter plays. Because of the overt lyrics and her age (11), I always feel at least a bit weird singing it with her, until the moment when I join in and attempt to harmonize the chorus, and, at which point, she bursts into laughter.

5 Likes

It was actually written by Leonard Cohen. Though Shrek’s performance is one for the ages. :wink:

1 Like

that was a beautiful rendition

4 Likes

Some red haired people are so ginger it’s a little shocking, like this young man.

My red hair was never quite that vibrant shade, and time has only stolen more color from it, so I suppose I am a bit jealous :slight_smile:

3 Likes

I have 3 red headed cousins (1 on the paternal side, 2 on the maternal side) and my mom has red hair…

2 Likes

It seems a bit reductive to me.
I don’t think of her off-hand statement as quite fair to the young guy.

Got a chill watching people freeze and turn around when they heard his voice. I hope he has a long and prosperous career ahead of him.

6 Likes

He might be able to sing as well as Sheeran - he does have a great voice and an intuitive way with phrasing, but can he compose? That’s the test. Sheeran did not make it by singing cover versions.

Wow, he was amazing, and so was she. I was not expecting him to have that hitch in his singing, which always gives me chills.

There’s a great Leonard Cohen cover album, I’m Your Fan, which has some truly fantastic covers on it. Though few can overshadow his own voice when he’s singing Hallelujah. :slight_smile:

5 Likes

Beautiful. Thsnks.

3 Likes

That made my morning. :smiling_face_with_three_hearts: She’s got the pipes, and he’s got the feeling! Unusual to see someone so young sing with such emotion.

4 Likes

Yes, that hitch is amazing. I’m envious, I sing like a crow with laryngitis.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.