13 shots fired into Tulsa gay center

Wait…weren’t they just responding to you telling someone else how terrorism was supposed to make them feel?

@Papasan - I feel this.
@AcerPlatanoides - It’s supposed to make you feel that.
@Max_Blancke - It’s actually supposed to make you feel X.
@AcerPlatanoides - Don’t tell me what to do.

???

10 Likes

It not sure how my world became the topic of any comments. I’m all set thanks.

2 Likes

I’ve added two words, the quotation marks matter, and i changed one so as to clarify what I asked max to not do here. Does that help anyone? Can we move on?

Someone shot up a support center for gays in a not so welcoming place. Semantics seem beside the point.

3 Likes

Pacifist ≠ pushover.

20 Likes

That absolutely helps me see the difference, and I appreciate that. The “support vs redirection” thing was a subtext that I glossed over, and having you highlight that brings me more understanding. Thank you.

And I hope you realize this was not an attempt to undermine any attention to the original topic, and was more a confused reaction to what I saw as unnecessary backlash among people I respect. You’ve clarified, and that helps me learn for the future.

5 Likes

I think that you are reading two different meanings into “supposed to.”

I read it the first “supposed to” as “should,” and the second as “intended to”, as follows:

@Papasan - I feel anger.
@AcerPlatanoides - Anger is the proper reaction.
@Max_Blancke - Their intention is to make you feel terror.
@AcerPlatanoides - Don’t tell me what to feel.

But I agree, especially if this is a matter of semantics, let’s just move on.

11 Likes

http://imgur.com/Ep9AxK8

17 Likes

Thanks.

In a desperate attempt to keep this on topic, centers like this one offers extensive counseling services, which can really improve communication between all parties, including those who have mixed feelings .

I hope there is a Streisand Effect from all this, these people appear to do good work. Might be a good day to visit their Store.

6 Likes

Yep

You summed up how I feel about this as well.

Yes it is…

15 Likes

The vehicle is a 1990s Chevy Suburban, not a pickup.

Sounds like it was an attack by a pellet gun (this time). Though in their position, I’d be looking at the pricing on bullet-resistant glass at this point, because you never know what the next nutball will do. (Especially after his actions brought the center to media attention.)

5 Likes

That’s fairly typical for minority places in the US. Most JCCs have metal detectors and bulletproof glass, for example.

9 Likes

Where did you hear that?

“a BB gun was used to damage the front door and windows”

Which explains why there are still windows after being hit with 13 shots.

4 Likes

The video at that link explains that it is reinforced glass. It’s bullet resistant glass. So, aside from being fully automatic, that seems like a pretty potent ‘bb’ gun. Can we agree on that, or am I to believe it was just a childs toy?

And I wonder what message they were sending to the residence they also hit?

Thank you for the link, very informative!

4 Likes

Isn’t “it is supposed to make you fearful” a statement about the objective of the attack, not what response is acceptable?

I’d be inclined to suspect that things we’d classify as ‘terrorism’ can be intended to inspire anger or fear, depending on the situation(a radical militant would certainly find inspiring fear and hopelessness in their target group to be useful much of the time; but inspiring anger can be extremely useful if you are trying to shake up the moderates on your side; or spur an opponent into doing something stupid and self destructive; like get bogged down in Iraq and Afghanistan because a bunch of Saudis destroyed their buildings; purely hypothetically and all.)

Arguing about what you are supposed to feel would be both intrusive and rather pointless; but arguing about what the motives behind a given act are is a quite different thing.

6 Likes

Oh, they’re just lone wolves, no big deal!

3 Likes

You of course have every right to your own response to anything (including that reply), but he’s completely correct.
The word “terrorism” quite literally means to cause terror, aka extreme levels of fear.

5 Likes

I was thinking that as well until I saw that it was actually pellets. [quote=“bibliophile20, post:52, topic:96607”]
Yeah… all of the minorities of the US are on notice now–we’ve overstayed our “welcome” at the hands of the ‘Christian’ fascists.
[/quote]

Except that really it’s the fascists who are very much in the minority, they just happen to be the loudest at the moment. We need to change that!

1 Like

Rushing to that argument to throw mud in the water, perhaps by comparing it to WWII… decontextualizing it into a greater narrative before the broken glass is replaced…

that isn’t really at a different thing, at all.

I’m pretty careful about how I discuss broken windows at night, these days. How bout you?

2 Likes