147-mph biker chase demonstrates latest aerial surveillance tech

Those people with sense are not likely to ride motorcycles in the first place, let alone at 140mph+.

1 Like

It ends with “suspect at gunpoint”.

Unless something drastic happened at the last moment (and there’s no hint of that in the audio), there wasn’t the tiniest trace of justification for anyone to have drawn a weapon in that situation.

5 Likes

Germany has started putting speed limits on some parts of the Autobahn. The traffic density has gotten so high the old no-limit way is just too flaming dangerous.

2 Likes

Pfft.

Ain’t nothing wrong with 200km/h on a bike in the appropriate circumstances.

3 Likes

Honestly, in some cases, I’d like to see the expanding blob of light and smoke in some of these high-speed chases. Some of these guys, it’s painfully obvious they don’t give a shit if they kill or cripple other people, they deserve to get strafed.

1 Like

saying “we can’t have X because SLIPPERY SLOPE” is not a valid argument against X.

3 Likes

That’s not a secret because it’s already happening in a few select places as to test/demo what’s possible.

Cities will be recorded 24-7 by drone (eventually, airplanes for now) and that footage is used to go back in time when a crime happens. Somebody breaks into your car, they can wind the tape back, see who did it, then back up some more to see where they started from.

Radio Lab did an excellent story on this in 2015:

7 Likes

You will. And the company that will bring it to you, AT&T.

2 Likes

Sure. A closed track. And nowhere else.

5 Likes

A 147mph chase is generally considered justification to draw a weapon.

1 Like

In America.

5 Likes

6 Likes

Exactly. You know, “if we let men marry each other, what’s next, people marrying goats?”

4 Likes

Yup!
The system has to account for its own location and altitude, angle of camera, and instantly determine that point on a map. Compred to moving map displays of yesteryear, I think it is cool, and has obviously taken a while to get right.

4 Likes

The abuse of tools is always inevitable. It is true of smart phones and computers and airplanes and automobiles and fertilizer and fire. We have not abandoned these tools because they have been abused.

The same technology that was invented to produce chemical weapons in WWI allows for mass disinfection of public drinking water, which is the only reason you are not dead of cholera.

The concern should never be with the tool, but always with the abuse. Don’t throw out the tool, put rules and training and checks in place to prevent abuse of the tool, and then use the damn tool.

8 Likes

I’m not saying what you/we can’t have nor why - I’m just saying we are interested because of the reveal of the tools.

1 Like

I am not suggesting we throw out the tool, nor focused on the tool over abuse. I’m just saying that the reveal of the tool is why we are interested.

2 Likes

It’s not much a reveal as @Mister44 pointed out. Google maps done some of this. Real estate mapping apps do some of the other things. Pokémon go does some of this for crying out loud.

1 Like

Agreed. The abuse of map data has never really been a problem except for politicians and dictators trying to redraw them from time to time.

3 Likes

But honestly, you should, if you live near Seattle, anyway. A reckless, dangerous asshole who does not belong on the road won’t be on the road for a while. He was caught without a dangerous high-speed chase, without multiple cars racing through residential neighbourhoods. The police used no information to which they were not legally entitled and did not already have, nobody had their civil rights violated, no bystanders were hurt.

Seattle is safer because this guy was caught without incident.

8 Likes