21 dead in mass-shooting at Texas elementary school

Originally published at: 21 dead in mass-shooting at Texas elementary school | Boing Boing

10 Likes

Sandy Hook put paid to the idea that dead children will prompt any real change to America’s dysfunctional relationship with firearms. As Gary Wills explained a decade ago, this is our Moloch.

Nothing else to add beyond my sympathies to the bereaved, except to note that we’ll probably be getting some new entries for this topic from our ammosexuals as they attempt to explain why this is the price we must pay to preserve our Second Amendment “freedoms”.

65 Likes

sigh Damn it…

20 Likes

38 Likes

In most any other country this tragedy would be both unprecedented and so shocking that it would surely lead to major reforms of the laws governing access to firearms.

Also, in most any other country I wouldn’t be able to copy and paste the above sentence time after time after time.

71 Likes

Jesus guns babies.

48 Likes

Governor Abbott offered thoughts and prayers, and called the shooter a true American hero, and his statue will be erected as soon as the governor is reelected. The statue will be on the school’s front lawn, and the cost will be paid by diverting public funds from education.
The governor expressed regret that the shooter did not survive long enough to join Kyle Rittenhouse on his speaking tour.

30 Likes

Fuck.

16 Likes

From the AP article:

It was the deadliest shooting at a U.S. grade school since…

That a reporter can write a sentence like that and have it make sense makes me very sad for my American friends. :pensive:

61 Likes

Gov Abbott is scheduled to speak at the NRA convention this week-end. I wonder if he will have visual aids?

24 Likes

I mean, in other countries, incidents like this have caused them to completely reform their firearm laws. E.g. the '96 massacre in Dunblane Scotland, in which 16 students and teachers were killed (and a mass shooting in Australia the same year). It only took one incident for the countries in each case to say “enough,” and enact strict gun controls with widespread support. In the US that just provokes another round of loosening gun controls by Republicans. This disparity convinces me that the US is, as a country, completely insane.

47 Likes
24 Likes

I thought the NRA was going to stop being a thing because, 1. Bankruptcy and 2. Crime.

38 Likes

I don’t understand this. They’re children, just kids. I don’t understand a world where people mass shoot children.

40 Likes

That’s what I mean about these shootings being “unprecedented” in most other countries.

In a sane country just once is more than enough.

22 Likes

Me neither.
The heart breaks, the soul weeps, those of us who care try to enact change, but it feels really insurmountable sometimes.
Anyway, we dry our tears and keep on trying.
Those poor kids. Their poor families. Fuck
:pleading_face::cry::sob:

37 Likes

The shooter was only 18, too. Technically an adult, but realistically: a child shooting younger children. Kids killing kids. This is apparently what the right believes to be a “well regulated militia”.

31 Likes

Gunman has a Hispanic name, so he’ll probably spin this into something like “Illegals are coming over illegally to shoot us”.

13 Likes

5 Likes

While in this country, it’s just the biggest mass shooting so far this month. Still a few days left to go.

I was cynically calling the Buffalo shooting “the biggest so far this month” and was proved correct.

14 Likes