15 impossible videos of babies and todllers escaping from cribs

Well I see one way this is not actually all that amazing - one of the videos specifies that their “22 month” old daughter is blowing their minds by getting out of her crib. The kid’s almost two and they’re reckoning her age in months, which makes it sound like she’s an infant.

If she’s slept in that jungle gym since infancy, I would be more worried if she had not fully explored it possibilities by now.

I agree 100%! That’s exactly why i kept from making any parenting arguments and kept my reply strictly to refuting the three arguments presented to me: child vs infant, the seat belts/cigarettes analogy, and the sleep science studies. Just to make sure there is no confusion and for extra good measure, I end with an explicit statement to clarify exactly that:

Ultimately every parent needs to do what they feel is best regardless of what anyone else says or thinks. :slight_smile:

my parents found me on top of the fridge. i had opened the dishwasher and pulled out some drawers to get to the counter, then climbed onto a toaster oven and a shelf to get there. they always loved telling that story. i wasn’t the first or last baby to be found on top of the fridge, google says it happens a lot. :slight_smile:

5 Likes

Yeah. I reread your comment again after posting that and realised it was thoughtfully worded. I probably wouldn’t have made that comment if I’d read it more carefully first time around.

2 Likes

Maybe it’s just the size of the kids, but all those cribs look like they’re much lower in height than what I use (which is a Sparrow). Seems like the highest part of the crib is the back which is against the wall - poor design. I guess any kid is going to go over the wall at some point though. Thankfully I’m not there yet…

1 Like

Dr. Spock was not the “let them cry it out” baby doctor; I’ve forgotten that person’s name. Dr. Spock was widely accused of creating hippies by encouraging parents to spoil their children.

1 Like

The cry it out method was first proposed by Dr. Spock in his book “The Common Sense Book of Baby and Child Care” which was first published in 1946

[quote]The cure is simple: Put the baby to bed at a reasonable hour, say good night affectionately but firmly, walk out of the room, and don’t go back…

Most babies…will cry furiously for 20 or 30 minutes the first night,
and then when nothing happens, they suddenly fall asleep! The second
night the crying is apt to last only 10 minutes. The third night there
usually isn’t any at all…

It’s important not to tiptoe in to be sure the baby is safe or to
reassure her that you are nearby. This only enrages her and keeps her
crying much longer."[/quote]

You might be thinking of Dr. Richard Ferber who wrote “Solve Your Child’s Sleep Problems” in 1985. He is the other “the cry it out” doctor. He refers to the neurological shutting down that happens after 30min of intense crying as “self soothing”, and is also often quoted when discussing this subject. Or someone else? I’m not sure…but he also recanted his theory and no longer believes that is best: From our 2006 archives: Why I no longer believe babies should cry themselves to sleep - The Globe and Mail

I just know that Dr. Spock was the originator of this idea and when it was first proposed by him it caused quite a stir because it went against the conventional wisdom of the time and it convinced a lot of people to change the way they bedded babies. Both the “cry it out” doctors recanted their positions and were later advocates against this method for whatever that’s worth.

Gee I hope my kid is not going to a climber.

1 Like

She’s 88 weeks for Christ’s sake. Kids grow up fast enough these days.

2 Likes

That over 14,700 hours old!

2 Likes

I don’t know if we all see the same recommended videos at the end, but I loved this one of the two kids freeclimbing the door-frame.

3 Likes

The Climbing Fithp. How do they do that?

1 Like

This totally reminded me:

Among the Sleep
The entire game is played as a first person treasure-hunt adventure from a 2-year-old’s point of view.

It actually weaves a pretty sad story, but I won’t spoil it.

4 Likes

That picture looks like a sign for Otter Recycling.

1 Like

I always recycle my used otters. I still feel guilty going through so many of them though.

1 Like

I call it sleeping “like the kanji for female”:

4 Likes

Not sure where you got that…

Ferber relaxed his prescription slightly in his 2006 book, and was (grudgingly) more open to co-sleeping, but generally thought that cry-it-out was best. Spock always maintained that cry it out was best.

Cry-it-out vs not is a religious war argument, and not really one that I want to have here.

I, and several other new parents I know (personally, not online) felt that cry-it-out was very good for our baby and us. The eleven-hours-straight that our 19-month-old frequently gets is much healthier for her than the wake-every-four-hours interrupted sleep she was getting, and was worth the two 30-minute sessions of crying. (It wasn’t that simple, and we had a bunch of preparatory stuff before letting her cry it out, but the end result was basically that.)

But there’s little point actually changing anyone’s mind in an off-topic online discussion, so I’m just saying what worked for us.

1 Like

Except, the children in these videos are almost exclusively toddlers (I didn’t watch all of them, but the few of them I did watch were all toddlers). If a child is old enough to climb out of a crib on their own, you can’t really call them a baby any more.

Our oldest started escaping his crib shortly before his third birthday - he was quite happy to sleep in there till that point. After the first night he climbed out, we moved him to his big boy bed. And the first night he was in his real bed, he snuck out of his room, back to the room with the crib (which was being kept as a nursery for his soon-to-be-arriving little sister), and climbed back into the crib! It was pretty cute. His little sister is still happily sleeping in the crib, will be 3 in March, but we’ve already talked to her about getting her big girl bed when she turns three.

People with no kids routinely see everybody under 10 as babies.

As someone in my middle-40s and with 3 kids, I apply that label to just about everybody under 70.

1 Like

It varies across cultures. My Taiwanese co-workers tell me that most of them shared their family bed until they were ten. They don’t seem in any way psychologically damaged, needy, clingy, dependent, or anything else.

In America, we have a (recent) need to see our 6-month-old babies as becoming “independent,” but this is a relatively new invention in human history. We can’t say putting them to bed in their own room is any “better,” unless you’re saying that all other cultures on Earth that co-sleep are worse.

We put our baby in her own room at five months, but I admit that even as a dad it felt a little sad and unnatural. She sleeps well in her own room, and it works better for us, but I’m not going to criticize anyone who co-sleeps.

The thing I will say is that I don’t understand how any kid who co-sleeps for a long time ends up with any younger siblings…

2 Likes