15-year-old to become first millennial saint after his T-shirt cures boy

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2024/05/29/15-year-old-to-become-first-millennial-saint-after-his-t-shirt-cures-boy.html

3 Likes

Damnit, I’ve been washing my old t-shirts. I should have been passing them out at the local children’s hospital just in case my germs and sweat can cause miracles.

1 Like

I want to believe.

The Catholic church reaching out to the youth…

1 Like

Mark, if he’s 15 that makes him Gen Z, not a Millennial.

That said, generational divides are just fabricated constructs meant to sell us crap.

10 Likes

He died in 2006 at age 15.

7 Likes

He was into gaming and Pokemon. There are going to be a lot of interesting relics. Imagine sick people touching a pikachu funko pop in the hope of being cured.

3 Likes

He taught himself to code at an early age and created websites for Catholic organizations, including one documenting miracles worldwide.

4 Likes

That does explain the being sainted part.

Thx

9 Likes

Patron saint of gamers and coders? Unless there already is one.

3 Likes

“ 15-year-old to become first millennial saint after his T-shirt cures boy”

That’s some serious mojo.

8 Likes

Carlo Acutis, was a London-born tech whiz who died from leukemia in 2006 at the age of 15.

Man, fuck cancer. Reconnected with an elementary school friend recently and his step-kid is going through Leukemia treatment for the 2nd time (after getting a couple years of remission). Sucks and is unfair. :frowning:

3 Likes

It’s never the tireless work of the night shift nurse, rt, and pulmonologist that results in someone getting extubated. It’s always the invisible sky god.

If the argument was “my God brought the cure via the amazing health care my family received” then I might respect the idea more. But it is always a ‘miracle’ with no known reason. Not the guy who invented pressure control, nor the person who brushed the patient’s teeth to prevent vap, or the pharmacy tech who brought the antibiotics or the housekeeper who cleaned the room of the MRSA from the past patient, medical recovery is always a miracle.

14 Likes

Defying medical expectations is not the same as defying medical explanation. In my experience, doctors tend to be very conservative in the expectations they give to patients since it’s a lot better to under-promise and over-deliver than the other way around.

3 Likes

Adding reason, scientific method or logic into the equation undermines the entire concept of sainthood (and perhaps the rest of religion).

Not saying there’s no utility in religion - whatever works for people then great - just don’t push it on me please.

3 Likes

that’s what i was thinking, too. they know the kids are not interested in church, so they are attempting this pretty desperate marketing ploy in an attempt to appeal to the kids.

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.