1911 mouse trap kills rodents twice

[Permalink]

1 Like

This mousetrap seems less like, well, a mousetrap and more like a work of art designed to make us feel creepy about killing rodents. The article describing it is a work of art in itself.

2 Likes

Made me think of The Wasp Factory.

2 Likes

Kinda reminds me of that old SNL parody of roach trap commercials https://screen.yahoo.com/bug-off-ad-000000736.html

Looks like 1911 not 1991?

1 Like

He’s not dead yet!

Electrocution is effective. This critter was found in the antenna control cabinet for our radio telescope. It contacted two phases of the 480VAC bus. I think it had been there for at least five years.

1 Like

If Mr. Mouse comes from a family of sailors

6 Likes

Yup, it would appear that this was a typo on Mark’s part. I thought the font/text of the description seemed a bit… Old school.

Or “Jogger Motel”. I can’t find a link to it …

1 Like

I wonder if the intent was to evoke ‘creepy’ or to evoke the warm feeling of tidy domesticity and the cleanliness that is next to godliness that comes with the extermination of filthy vermin?

At least if the pitch is right, there can be some strong and slightly disturbing affective associations evoked by satisfying purity/contamination-related impulses.

2 Likes

It IS necessary if the mouse’s name is Rasputin.

6 Likes

I like this invention from a few pages earlier…

10 Likes

Shame SkyMall went bankrupt.

7 Likes

I remember that bit. Made me laugh and gave me nightmares. The perfect combination. The mere mention was almost as good as seeing it again. Thank you for that trip down memory lane.

By golly, even in the illustration this ‘sudden appearance of lights’ is dangerously startling the horses. What were they thinking? That will never catch on.

2 Likes

Wait, how did that guy know the stairs to rat heaven are made of gold?

Nuke it from orbit…it’s the only way to be sure.

That looks like one phase and ground.

I opened an old electrical box once to find the insides splattered with what looked like tar and fibers. I thought the fibers might have been from disintegrated old-time cloth insulation, but I couldn’t explain the tar… until I found the rat bones. The “tar” was dried blood and guts, and the fibers were fur — the rat had walked across two hot legs and utterly exploded.

Could it be a conventionally killed rat that later exploded due to decay gases accumulating in the carcass?

Ohhhh, the Microwave Mortuary! Thanks for a reminder to look at the new stuff. Much more goodies over there.
http://www.microwaves101.com/encyclopedias/microwave-mortuary

Here, something to make it feel less creepy in perspective.
Warning, mice.

2 Likes