1941 film shows striking animators brandishing a working guillotine at the Disney studio gates

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2019/11/26/radical-art.html

5 Likes

Huh, I would have guessed Chuck would be more of a “execute the dummy by dropping an anvil on his head” kinda guy.

29 Likes

This incivility will lead to breaking of many strands of pearls.

16 Likes

10 Likes

The guillotine didn’t cut completely through the dummy – probably an ACME brand guillotine.

17 Likes

Gifs and flash cannot preserve a film.

5 Likes

10 Likes

Cartoonists are so visual. :smiling_imp:

9 Likes

Obligatory.

7 Likes

Mad props!

8 Likes

Offered once again in all humility.

3 Likes

Archaic? Star Wars was released before France stopped using the guillotine.

6 Likes

Last used 1977. Let’s call it a draw. Abolished in 1981, 38 years ago. But who said anything about France?

The point was that since the death penalty still exists in the US, Americans who oppose it might be more sensitive to the use of an execution device as a symbol for the consequences of certain bad behavior by the super-rich. The thread linked to was about finding a suitable metaphor, not about actually killing people.

3 Likes

Well, some Americans might be more sensitive to it. Others find it perfectly suitable symbolically. And even literally, considering that a lot of people typically die to produce a billionaire’s wealth.

6 Likes

As if my adoration of Chuck Jones could not be any greater!

3 Likes

I love that in the new “Imagineering Story” doc on Disney+, this all gets glossed as Walt being sick of animation because of a “labor dispute,” and so he went and set up WED to create Disneyland.

3 Likes

11 Likes

Its a reason why Disney animation retreated from the constant rigors of producing cartoon shorts.

2 Likes

If you want more history about Walt being a bastard man I highly recommend the new season of You Must Remember This. It’s called Six Degrees of Song of the South

Karina Longworth has pretty impeccable timing to drop this right at the launch of Disney+, I know that Cory loves Disney, but they have always been shitty.

4 Likes

I’ll also recommend it, but while she’s honest about his flaws and limited perspective, Walt doesn’t come off as much of a villain in it.