Disneyland characters and parade cast members to unionize

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2024/02/14/disneyland-characters-and-parade-cast-members-to-unionize.html

4 Likes

Time for a rewatch of A Bug’s Life.

8 Likes

The more your job involves labor, the more you want a union because the people in charge will consider you disposable.

4 Likes

Cue the right-wing pundits complaining about how this will result in uglier princesses or something.

1 Like

They want sexy princesses and M&Ms. They’re simple folk.

2 Likes

Disney has always had form on this. Walt was fiercely anti-labour, and a friendly witness at HUAC:

2 Likes

tumblr_1922191f413a46b38925291389e21459_d790ead6_400-ezgif.com-optimize

Walter’s idea of good labour relations at the time was “If I let my employees call me ‘Walt’ instead of ‘Mr. Disney’ I can pay them $0.751) less per hour than other studios.”

1) Somewhere around that. I read about it in a Disney biography a couple of years ago and can’t look up the actual figure right now.

4 Likes

The Walt Disney Family Museum in San Francisco includes a whole display on that strike. It is presented in a surprisingly neutral tone given that the rest of the museum is basically one big unapologetic love letter to Walt.

1941-strike

That strike was a big part of what drove Walt to focus more of his interest and resources on live action instead of animation since he felt so betrayed by “his boys” and probably figured it would be easier to maintain control over movies that didn’t depend on a core group of creatives with highly specialized skills (and thus more collective negotiating power).

4 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.