1965's 'Eve of Destruction' by Barry McGuire

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2020/03/12/1965s-eve-of-destruction.html

5 Likes

I first heard this song a month or so ago binging Todd in the Shadow’s one hit wonders. I kinda like it.

3 Likes

I first heard this song on an episode of The Greatest American Hero. Years later while trying to find the original I stumbled upon Bishop Allen’s version which isn’t a cover; it would be more accurate to say it’s inspired by the original, with its own distinctive take.

2 Likes

my favorite use of a sample ever… Current 93’s Great Black Time

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=saOE5nIq_xY

1 Like

Note the song was written by PF Sloan .

It was a big hit, but more a laundry list of things happening at the time. Phil Ochs wrote songs that covered one thing at a time. Dissect the lyrics, and there may be a full Phil Ochs song for each major point. If he missed one, some other folk singer surely covered it.

Everything has a sort of vanguard, that defines things and is deep, then a larger mass that knows the buzz words but may lack depth. People need to look deeper.

6 Likes

Our puppy’s roller-derby name is Eva Destruction.

17 Likes

Great song, not least for successfully rhyming “coagulating.”

A formative song for me as a child, born just after it was released but growing up in a time when “the morning after” seemed just around the corner.

10 Likes

Some good production design for that bit.

2 Likes

One of my favourite songs which over 50 years later still has lines that ring true

6 Likes

There was an ‘answer song’ called “The Dawn of Correction” by a band called The Spokesmen.

3 Likes
5 Likes

I don’t think he did have another hit.

But, he was with the New Christy Minstrels before the song, and not many people get mentioned in the Mamas and Paoas “Creeque Alley”. “McGuinn and McGuire just a-gettin’ higher”.

8 Likes

Not the best version of the song. But a memorable one.
(I liked the 90’s Stand miniseries)

I am trying to imagine Barry McGuire singing “California Dreaming”. The Mamas and the Papas exercised great judgment in holding on to that one.

In The President’s Analyst McGuire played a hippie folk singer who was singing “Eve of Destruction” in a slow manner.

4 Likes

On THE PRESIDENT’S ANALYST, it was actually “Inner Manipulations” by Barry McGuire and Paul Potash.

3 Likes
2 Likes
4 Likes

McGuire’s rendition is so good. Randomly - when I was a kid i thought the line was "ate your next door neighbor … " and always thought it was kind of extreme for the classic rock station

4 Likes
3 Likes

My bad. :slight_smile:

1 Like