1993 MTV video of me and Billy Idol

Inorite. He’s just that good at chameoleoning.

2 Likes

####any ONE of us could be David Bowie.

::gasp::

##ALL of us could be David Bowie!!!

3 Likes

Nope, came out in '89.

EVEN BETTER.

I think I see what I did - I was looking at the 2003 remastered edition on Spotify, and transliterated that into 1993. Sorry.

Why apologize? You’ve gotten me one step closer to that badge…

I thought it was a great album, and I still like it even as a total non-fan of Billy Idol.

1 Like

It’s true. I am David Bowie. And so’s my wife.

We can’t prove it, but we’ve never been seen in the same room as David Bowie… #spooky

4 Likes

As have I.

Thus, no closer at all.

I still have my cd and diskette. I still listen to the album and it still rocks. I listen to it more than I do his other albums.

Thanks for working on this, Mark!

2 Likes

At least, you think you haven’t.

4 Likes

4 Likes

his fonts surely have not.

1 Like

So… how did you get hired to do this job, Mark? Was Billy a reader of the 'zine? What was he like in person?

1 Like

You know, the funny thing to me is that people slagged on that album for being all style and no substance. “You doofs!” I wanted to say to them. “That’s what Cyberpunk IS! ‘Style over substance.’” While the fact that Billy Idol told the press they should read Neuromancer if they wanted to know what the album was all about without actually having read it himself was amusing, it was at the same time the purest essence of the cyberpunk ideal.

That being said, this album holds a special place in my heart because the hypnotic relaxation routine that opened “Adam in Chains,” loaded onto my iPod Touch, helped me relax enough to pee when I was in the hospital in great pain with a broken leg from a motor scooter accident. (It was only later that I found out Idol himself came up with the idea for the album when he was in the hospital after breaking his leg in a motorcycle accident and being impressed by the electronic bone regrowth gizmo on his leg. Hey, synchronicity!)

It saddened me that Idol was effectively hounded off his email address by critics of the album. I’ve long wished I could somehow get a message through to Billy Idol to thank him for helping me when I was in such agony.

(Billy: If you’re reading this, thanks, man. I mean it.)

1 Like

I’m sure it is really not that hard to get in touch with Idol these days. In fact

https://twitter.com/billyidol

I only ever had the CD. That disk seems like the perfect sort of thing for archive.org to host using their javascript-based DOS emulator.

(Looks like it’s a Mac format disk, so most of what I said is irrelevant unless archive has a Mac emulator…)

Clearly Idol understood the nascent web instantly. He replies to Psiborg’s page-long letter with

hi.smile psiborg your on m.t.v…

Just missing a “lol.”

3 Likes

I know I’m in the minority, but this is the album that changed my life when I listened to it at an impressionable age.

Now there’s a bunch of über cyberpunk nerds. <3

2 Likes

It’s a Macromedia Director… presentation? Application? Whatever. So if Adobe’s current Director (TIL that this product still exists) is that far backwards compatible, it shouldn’t be a herculean effort to get it running natively on a modern Mac/Win OS.

1 Like