2,100+ veterans pledge to build barracks to help Dakota Access Pipeline water defenders survive the winter

The overwhelming number of cops that I personally see certainly act like thugs and bullies. Why make excuses for them?

The profession certainly attracts that personality type, and the system is set up to protect the bad actors rather than expel them. However, I wouldn’t go as far as to say literally all police are thugs and bullies.

2 Likes

I think more of them are bullies than not. Either it attracts them or cop culture molds them into that.

2 Likes

Both. Jimmy also points out that it takes rough people to keep us safe from criminals, so I guess that softens it a bit.

1 Like

Well, there are countries where the cops are nowhere as thuglike.

4 Likes

I believe the appropriate ironic comment here is that turnabout is fair play.

Also will be a very interesting test of the federal government response, with the control group being the Bundys. Given that they were able to have their cattle graze on federal lands and point guns at federal officers with effectively no repercussions, we’ll see what, if any, differences there might be now that there’s both oil on the line and that the people in question aren’t white wealthy ranchers.

7 Likes

Oh My.

Oh My.

I’ll just leave this here:

9 Likes

“We hope that Kelcey Warren, Governor [Jack] Dalrymple, and the incoming Trump administration respect this decision and understand the complex process that led us to this point,” Archambault said.

Yeah, that’ll happen.

5 Likes

Big Oil will find a way to take what’s rightfully theirs /s

4 Likes

I swear to Cthulhu, before December is over we’ll be hearing news about them drilling the line under the river anyways. Once it’s built the company could probably hold off the army corps of engineers in court long enough to prevent them from dismantling it before Trump takes office, it which point it would be moute. Under President Fuckface Von Clownstick I imagine they would just have to pay a small fine for building without a permit after which they would be allowed to use the pipeline anyways.

7 Likes

If the tribe puts observers with the construction crew, which they are entitled to do, the pipeline company would be unlikely to put in an unpermitted crossing. They probably would not do it anyway. On the other hand, they are pretty unlikely to just abandon the mostly completed pipeline and go home. I see two options. Either they move the crossing, or they just wait for Darcy to be replaced, and continue as before. I bet the pipeline company will sue for the work completed that will be redone, as well as the expenses of being idle for so long. It should be interesting.

Ah, you’re forgetting that if they don’t start delivering oil by the 1st of January 2017 they have to sell it at current market values (which are very low for oil) instead of the value a from a year or two ago when the pipeline was negotiated. Because the oil that would be going through that pipe is Bakken crude, which has a very high extraction cost in terms of both energy and finances, that would likely be very bad for the company’s profit margin.

Ironic that the Corps named the camp after the very name of the Sioux people.

http://aktalakota.stjo.org/site/News2?page=NewsArticle&id=8309

Sort of like when they name a subdivision Whispering Pines or a new road Drummons Farm Drive to commemorate what used to be there. Really rubs it in, ya know?

5 Likes

Did the COE name the camp?

Good to see that some people in the USofA still stand for freedom and justice. Peace!

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.