Army Corps of Engineers denies Dakota Access Pipeline permit

Originally published at: http://boingboing.net/2016/12/04/army-corps-of-engineers-denies.html

12 Likes

Thank you, indigenous people and others who defend our home the Earth. You are Heros!

32 Likes

They fought so hard, and didn’t one of them even die? But the climate changing machine will just reroute around them.

11 Likes

This is a really exciting victory for the people. This dark night of the soul we have entered could engender a new era of true democratic action. Power to the people!

12 Likes

I am sure that the people of Bismark will now welcome the pipeline with open arms.

9 Likes

This probably is a trick to get the protestors to leave. I bet there’s a bunch of psychopaths in riot gear just waiting for the chance to cut off those who leave from the main protest zone.

7 Likes

Here’s hoping this is an early start to the good news of 2017.

17 Likes

I can’t bring myself to click the little heart icon under this comment, but I believe you are correct.

17 Likes

I keep hearing about the media blackout. I’ve definitely limited my media diet post election–I will no longer, for example, give my eyeballs to a network that gives Jeffrey Lord, Scottie Nell Hughes, or Corey Lewandowski a platform–but on the papers I still follow, both the pipeline and the protests seem to have been a relatively well covered story. Are they outliers?

4 Likes

Does anyone know if the veterans are staying and helping to build housing for the winter?

3 Likes

This is good. I am glad to hear this. But I share the same skepticism that this means victory. Not total victory, anyway.

Hats off to the protesters. Every one.

18 Likes

Something is rotten in Bismarck.

8 Likes

I’m so glad to see your cautious post. I’m sitting in the Oceti Sakowin Camp media center right now. This is not the “mainstream media” but rather the team of people who have committed to be in the camp long term and share the story of what’s happening here. We started the evening far less celebratory than a lot of the people at camp. The Native community knows that promises are often made but seldom kept. The timing of this (the vets being here, the press here en masse, the eviction date for tomorrow) seems fishy. Those of us who have been here a long time remember that ETP was still doing construction inside the 20 mile zone even during the injunction back in late September and early October.

To add to that, we have ETP’s own statement from tonight which includes the paragraph:

As stated all along, ETP and SXL are fully committed to ensuring that this vital project is brought to completion and fully expect to complete construction of the pipeline without any additional rerouting in and around Lake Oahe. Nothing this Administration has done today changes that in any way.
- http://www.businesswire.com/news/home/20161204005090/en/Energy-Transfer-Partners-Sunoco-Logistics-Partners-Respond

So, no. This isn’t over yet. And we’re not going anywhere until it is.

58 Likes

It’s sad how much effort was required for such a small victory.

12 Likes

Or just try again in a month, as they suspect.

9 Likes

I was just thinking the same thing: I’m pretty sure I’ve been reading about this story via the front page of the BBC for longer than I’ve been seeing it on BoingBoing.

1 Like

Hoping this won’t be remembered as the high point of civil society.

4 Likes

What Would Donald Trump Do?

3 Likes

No, they’ll pause the construction for a month, then Trump will order the Army to reverse the decision.

Still, a month’s breather is better than nothing.

9 Likes

Thank you for your post.

11 Likes