Army Corps of Engineers denies Dakota Access Pipeline permit

Yesterday we had a victory. I love winning. Today we prepare for new battle.

6 Likes

Yes this is a victory, for now. But given the nature of the new administration it seems more than likely that once in office Trump will just overturn this – or find that there are no other “viable” routes for the pipeline – and return. And the veterans won’t be there then. Or the press.

6 Likes

A shining moment in an otherwise shity year.

1 Like

I too would like an update on that.

2 Likes

Let’s see: shortly after veterans show up to help build shelters (it’s a brutal winter up there), everyone is told the saga is over. In a month’s time, it will be dangerous to stay there without proper shelter, and the ground will be too cold by then to start building.

Nothing suspicious about the timing, oh no.

Still, the Army Corp of Engineers is not known (AFAIK) to be in the pocket of Trumpists, so there is some hope.

17 Likes

Yes, it’s hard to imagine that the impending spectacle of over 2000 vets braced on the front lines to take the first blows, having openly taken advice/orders from the Native Americans water protectors, didn’t have a huge effect on this sudden decision.

9 Likes

Maybe. But let’s not overlook what a major victory this is. Peaceful, loving, determined resistance got its message all the way to the White House, which listened and responded positively. Native people, and other resisters, got a big shot in the arm in terms of feeling and realizing their agency.

16 Likes

Thank you for your dedication and reporting.

8 Likes

Thank you for the update and insight.

6 Likes

This is known. The water protectors need be a part of the process and prepare to reassemble in January.

1 Like

Noami Klein’s brief video here with a 13-year-old protector is so moving:

5 Likes

Thank you, indigenous people and others who defend our home the Earth. You are Hero’s!

Hero’s what?

I stand with Rock. Word to people.

I am up, you?

shield

Rest easy, I removed the offending apostrophe.

1 Like

well, at least until February.

2 Likes

No, the Army Corp of Engineers is known to be in the pockets of large farm businesses and developers who want federally funded cheap water for their farm/new housing devlopment/etc.

1 Like

Great! Now if only you could remove the pipeline as easily! (Um. You can’t–can you?)

If you are interested in the Press Conference that the Oceti Sakowin Camp Media did on Monday at 1PM in the Dome, you can see the livestream version at https://www.facebook.com/GWOBorg/videos/1684632198217411/

9 Likes

I’m torn between my spotting of grocer’s apostrophes and wanting to add them everywhere in order to waste persons’ time correcting me.

3 Likes

As an Anishinaabe person I am both happy and wary of this news. We see this so often. You won… until the media spotlight is off. Then it’s business as usual. Mounting a second resistance is exponentially harder.

11 Likes