2001: A Space Odyssey—a brief history of that future as imagined in 1968

Originally published at: 2001: A Space Odyssey—a brief history of that future as imagined in 1968 | Boing Boing

5 Likes

This as made by a 2001 fanatic: Search YouTube for 2021: A Mustang Odyssey

1 Like

2001__Dave__smiling_phixr_phixr

2 Likes

Watching the premiere at the Golden Gate Theater here in San Francisco in the front row ( the only seat left ) on LSD. I believed everything imagined in that movie.
BtW, when will my robot doorbell look like HAL 9000?

2 Likes

Well, it’s not that far off…

Screen Shot 2021-11-02 at 22.42.03

4 Likes

Whoa, I did not know it has come that far.
I want my HAL doorbell!

3 Likes

To this day, I’ve never seen the movie, but I did read the book, and based on my parents’ description of the movie, it sounds like a lot of stuff will go right over your head unless you read it. That’s a hazard of trying to compress an extremely detailed story into movie format; I saw the same thing with The Godfather, where some scenes didn’t make any sense to me until I read the book.

That could be a Raspberry Pi project. Most of the hardware work would be the faceplate (at least for a one-off). It might be doable with 3D printing, or laser cutting if you preferred metal.

1 Like

I’ve seen it a few times through, and I don’t think the novel is strictly necessary (also, it followed the movie IIRC.)

Pacing feels glacial compared to modern tentpole films, but it’s best seen in a large format for sure. The effects are so well-done that you forget it’s from 1968. Even the trippy end scenes – purposefully disorienting IMHO.

Watch it, when you’re in the mood for a slow, visual, thinky movie. Nobody on-screen figures things out for the audience. Followup with 2010 if you want to understand what you just watched, though. :wink:

4 Likes

But although it was ‘developed’ alongside the film, the book was published after the film came out. Kubrick clearly did not rely on or intend the book to come out first or be read before the film. Personally, I thought the film stood up on its own just fine. Given that you have not seen it, I suspect your parents’ judgement or your own interpretation of it may not hold up here.

1 Like

I’m sorry Kent but I can’t open for you.

I will be posting video of you to the internet though.

3 Likes

Kubrick bought the rights to five or six stories from Clarke and then decided, after lengthy discussions with Clarke, that he would use The Sentinel. (Clarke bought back the rights for the ‘unused’ stories.)
It was then agreed that Clarke would write 2001 as a novel first and then he and Kubrick would turn that into the screenplay. IIRC, in the end this worked out that way that the novel and the screenplay were written sort of concurrently to each other, and the book was released shortly after the premiere of the film.

3 Likes

That sounds familiar. I knew it didn’t follow the usual one-precedes-the-other pattern. I do have a copy of The Sentinel around, and there’s some plot obviously taken from it, but 2001 stands alone in other respects.

And I will admit to admiring Kubrick’s perfectionist directing style and focus on detail. Visually, this film especially is timeless.

4 Likes

Also, I think the book was written after the movie? Based on the screenplay.

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.