2001: A Space Odyssey, the 15-minute "audiobook" version for kids

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2019/03/05/2001-a-space-odyssey-the-15.html

6 Likes

I enjoyed my “Empire Strikes Back” Hear and Read as a kid, but this book is still as weird as the movie. I can’t imagine enjoying this as a kid.

Honestly, I always enjoyed the conventional sequel “2010: The Year We Make Contact”, more.

2 Likes

World’s longest filmstrip.

When my son was six, I was listening to an audio book of Clark’s novel in the car. After a few 20 minute rides, my son would beg for “The Dr. Floyd story” every time he got in the car.

7 Likes

Even more impressive when you consider the last 5 minutes are just an psychedelic instrumental track.

4 Likes

Don’t fall down a Floyd Hole

3 Likes

HAL sounds vaguely like Peter Lorre.

4 Likes

Even 15 minutes of “2010” would put me to sleep.

2 Likes

I never knew this existed.
The turn-the-page-chime is annoying; both the sound and the fact that it’s even there, but otherwise - not bad.

1 Like

And of course Jack Kirby did the 2001 comic book adaptation. No, really:

4 Likes

HAL still won’t open the pod bay doors, but this time he sounds like Dick Dastardly

Every time you hear the chime, Robbo’s tinnitus will stab him in the head.

2 Likes

I’d watch that movie.

2 Likes

even as a stupid 14-year-old (saw it in the theater back then) I wasnt very impressed by it; dull, boring, kinda pathetic and substandard acting. nope, didnt like it.

on the other hand…saw “2001” as a 9-year-old and even I didnt got the whole picture storywise, I was completly blown away by it.

1 Like

2010 needed more explosive decompression.

5 Likes

This recently showed up on /r/ObscureMedia on Reddit, so I thought I’d share my post from the same thread showing the pages from the read-along record book I have in my collection:

I also have the 2010 read-along record book (not the one shown in the Boing Boing post, that’s the longer, non-book version [which I also have]), and those are included in the imgur link as well. Here’s the video of the sequel, if you’re interested: https://youtu.be/yOZVob_i80Q

1 Like

Don’t forget the kid’s menu verison.

And wasn’t this on BoingBoing at some point?

1 Like

THIS! those decompressing-scenes were haunting me for WEEKS! :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

(against the fact that scientifically speaking there were completly BS.)

3 Likes
3 Likes

The same director did both Outland and 2010.

1 Like