2020 Uprising: Enough is Enough

In Houston today, tens of thousands of people came out including George Floyd’s family. It was a powerful scene.

Although this weekend >500 were arrested, its been thankfully mostly quiet by HPD standards.
After the official march ended tonight the police announced “Leave the area immediately or you will be subject to arrest and additional force may be used against you.” Still looks like things will remain fairly calm

18 Likes

I just pulled up Periscope to see what’s going on in Seattle right now. This is incredible.

9 Likes

I wonder what effect all this will have on Covid.

What is the symbolism of the umbrellas?

6 Likes

And then there’s Lyft:

14 Likes

Defence against pepper spray and aerial surveillance. They aren’t “symbols”.

19 Likes

Every christian I have tried to engage with about theology has trIed their damndest to pretend this story doesn’t exist.

14 Likes

Gotcha. Thanks

Gotta get that Brand Synergy™ going.

5 Likes

Obligs:

At least it’s not white text on off-black background, and there’s an actual token gesture attached, not just patronizing and empty placations.

20 Likes

Nice rocketship.

1 Like

Did you see the poem I posted earlier?

Unlikely to be effective on the people you’re discussing, but it’s a damnfine piece of poetry regardless.

11 Likes

The irony is nobody in Seattle uses an umbrella under normal circumstances unless they are a tourist.

9 Likes

It’s just happy to be there.

10 Likes

Cheaper and more covert than a gas mask. Brilliant

Curfews are basically just a mechanism for the cops to excuse themselves attacking protesters at whim. But, given that they’re already doing that during the daytime anyway, they may not make a huge difference.

OTOH, they’ll probably be effective at cowing the corporate media into abandoning their duties.

16 Likes

while it’s way better than bunkerboy, shrub said only “threatened and harassed” not “murdered”. and refuses to actually point out the problem. he uses the passive voice, not linking it to the police, to ice, or any of the laws causing the damage.

he also spectacularly fails to call out trump’s actions, despite the clear illegality and danger.

fwiw, i also think it’s long past “listening” time. it’s “doing” time. there are plenty of reasonable plans on the table for reforming police. no need to listen, just do.

12 Likes

From what I have seen here the cops have been waiting until curfew to cut lose. I know In other cities they are not waiting.

Map on Snapchat should give real time indications how things are going.

5 Likes

…and he’s a mass-murdering war criminal who belongs in the Hague.

And then we get to Katrina and New Orleans…

14 Likes