Corporate BLM statement roundup

I decided to spin this off from the main May Uprising thread to keep the focus there on what’s happening on the ground.

Inspired by this tweet:

here’s a round-up of some of the good and not-so-good messages that Brands(R) have posted to Twitter in response to BLM and the protests over George Floyd’s murder.

First up, some good ones:

(really wish Mastodon would OneBox better…)

And some not-so-good ones:

All of these are fluff to a certain extent, but the good ones that back up their generic “we support black folks” imagery with concrete statements of what they’re doing to address problems within their own sphere of influence.

5 Likes

Salesforce turned their app page black with a message of support. Reddit did the same with their app icons.

My employer has had numerous internal messages with support for BLM, our unit meeting actually had a 10 min moment of silence in support for and in memory of those who have suffered at the hands of police brutality.

5 Likes

It’ll be back in time for Christmas.

I’m crabby. This is a good move.

5 Likes

More LEGO news:

It’d be nice if they could demilitarize their police sets while they’re at it, but it’s a start.

3 Likes

And realistically, they haven’t stopped selling the sets, they just pulled all marketing.

But it’s still more than many other big brands have done.

2 Likes
4 Likes

This is a few steps down from “corporate”, but even the “we’ll host any image as long as it’s not illegal” pony image board has had it.

They’ve got a long way to go (I wrote a Thing yesterday on Twitter), but this is a nice first step.

2 Likes

Speaking of geek hobbies, Games Workshop (the makers of Warhammer 40k, Age of Sigmar and others) has published this on their FB and Twitter, where it’s currently the pinned tweet:

The last line is a particularly nice one.

3 Likes

Some chuds are upset with Sports Interactive, who make Football Manager

When you start Football Manager, the first thing you see after the SI and Sega logos is an advert for Kick It Out, an anti-racism and anti-discrimination charity (this can be verified by downloading the demo on Steam). They have advertising board at the side of the pitch that can be clicked on with a mouse to take you to their website. This is not a new feature, it’s been there for years, yet there seem to be a neverending amount of willfully ignorant arseholes who complain about politics in games.

7 Likes

A thread from Shudder.

3 Likes

Chick-Fil-A: when you think “bad decisions”, think “Chick-Fil-A”.

5 Likes
2 Likes

I think I found the champion…

8 Likes
8 Likes

It gets better:

8 Likes

Brew tea, not racis-tea!

True that.

I liked the inclusion of the Summer 2020 Set 21054. If they pulled it, and only sold it (if applicable…) after Nov. 2020, that would be a nice touch.

(That said, even pulling the marketing is likely a move the financial department would have been not happy about. Would be interested if this marketing was already paid for.)

ETA: didn’t scroll, so I missed the tea post. Now, that is a tea party movement I dig.

1 Like