2020 Uprising: Enough is Enough

Is it a protest or a Pearl Jam concert?

5 Likes

https://twitter.com/danielle_isis/status/1268378280606007296?s=21

10 Likes

We identified law enforcement aircraft from information on their operators in the Federal Aviation Administration’s registration database and tracked them using signals from the planes’ transponders compiled at the crowdsourced flight-tracking website ADS-B Exchange. (We assumed planes registered to cities or counties were used for law enforcement unless the registration information identified them as dedicated to another purpose, such as a city fire department.)

5 Likes

okayjlaw

7 Likes

Me too. It sucks. But also, fuck the police.

15 Likes

so that local leaders believe the cops are still desired and supported by their constituents.

( which leaves them listening primarily to the chambers of commerce regarding policing.

in my city, the biggest funders of the chamber are wells fargo and bank america with chase and various mega health care companies not far behind. note that wells fargo has previously invested heavily in private prisons. )

14 Likes
21 Likes
17 Likes

But also

EZn5S3vUEAA5sbR.jpeg

18 Likes
7 Likes

Yeah, I’m really sorry I stuck my head in bass bins as a kid. But I’m even gladder I didn’t join a gang of armed thugs and shoot citizens.

10 Likes

A really good question was raised in the article. Why do high profile conservatives continue to lick Trump’s boot when they have significantly more to gain by giving him the finger?

By contrast, a Republican senator who dares to question whether Trump is acting in the interests of the country is in danger of—what, exactly? Losing his seat and winding up with a seven-figure lobbying job or a fellowship at the Harvard Kennedy School? He might meet the terrible fate of Jeff Flake, the former Arizona senator, who has been hired as a contributor by CBS News. He might suffer like Romney, who was tragically not invited to the Conservative Political Action Conference, which this year turned out to be a reservoir of COVID‑19.

9 Likes
9 Likes
18 Likes

Related to what Turha had to say there, the St Paul Principles:

If folks want to go do peaceful and passive style protesting, that’s fine. But don’t shit on your comrades while you’re doing it. Don’t work for the cops.

10 Likes

A quick guide to police reform vs police abolition:

Sources in thread.

14 Likes
13 Likes

Something I have thought about is whether some areas will go “Free Derry”, ban the police from their communites and police themselves. I hadn’t brought it up before this week because it was obvious that it would bring police retribution, but that’s happening now anyway.

I have read about dual power structures in some communities in Mississipi and Alabama, where they set up support systems because the state government doesn’t give a fuck about what happens to them in times of hardship. Not the police though.

Maybe I’m being too naive. Free Derry was still a white community and look how it ended.

10 Likes

So much winning!

11 Likes

Torching the street is different than torching the embassy.

Headlines matter.

5 Likes