2020 Uprising: Enough is Enough

You’re abolishing the police and then creating a new system which is actually intended to address the problems people think the police are for, rather than being a domestic army whose job is to crack the heads of people we don’t like with a thin veneer of a justification to make it palatable.

15 Likes
14 Likes

Re: the abolition debate, I’ll just post this one again.

13 Likes

Absolutely; the people aren’t saying they want chaos or an absence of law. They want the current system that doesn’t work to be dismantled and a new system which does work to be put in its’ place.

And I concur; there’s no reforming a toxic system that has rotted from the inside out - you have to scrap it and start over from scratch.

22 Likes

“You find cases where people were stopped for eye contact and cases where people were suspicious for not giving eye contact,” 26-year-old John Felton of Detroit said.

Report clears Dayton officer year after ‘direct eye contact’ stop

16 Likes

The key difference between abolition and reform is that abolition gets rid of all current police officers, whereas reform keeps the current police officers, but gives them different rules. How do you think that’s going to work in places like Minneapolis? Same old shit.

17 Likes

What should we call the new type of security system we want? Can’t use the word police. Something else?

And breaking it up.

You don’t have FDA food inspectors checking your house foundations. You don’t have civil engineers determining whether or not your steak is going to kill you.

So why do the police have jurisdiction over so many aspects of our lives, that just “coincidentally” allow them to look for reasons to (at best) have certain people locked up?

16 Likes

And just in case your Googling fingers are somehow broken, here’s a thread with a short list of resources to begin (emphasis on begin) with:

Yes, that is more reading than is usually contained within a short post or tweet.

Guess what? Anti-racism work is work. A bit of reading is not too much to ask.

8e4bfe72c1fa1eee57610e12c0ff6a237cb820f2

10 Likes

It’s like they are NBA refs:

1 Like

A better camera angle:

8 Likes

BTW: the linguistic commonality between the current abolitionist movement and that of the 1860’s is not a coincidence.

Keep in mind the connection between mass incarceration and slavery.

12 Likes

Girl power!

16 Likes

Yeah, too terrible for the battlefields of war, but for the war on our own citizens, smoke 'em if you got 'em. Fuckin a

21 Likes

https://twitter.com/clownhound/status/1269456559605780481?s=21

24 Likes

The more subtle version:

12 Likes

You raise a valid point. I’m still very skeptical of the suspect’s motives and what exactly he was distributing and why, but I’ll admit I rushed to judgement based on the agents provocateur recently in the news. I appreciate the challenging of my reaction.

5 Likes

I got a “tweet is unavailable” message when I tried to view it.

4 Likes

harold-maude-love-you.com

7 Likes

Deleted by ABC after getting dragged in the comments.

It’s the one from a day or two ago that showed a small group of BLM protesters quietly walking through a suburban neighbourhood, while the white residents all stood outside their properties glowering and holding semiauto rifles. Except ABC had modified it to blur the faces of the white people, while leaving the faces of the Black protesters unblurred.

13 Likes