2020 Uprising: Enough is Enough

How long until we hear justification for attacking press and medics as “they were giving aid and comfort to the enemy?” Maybe it has already happened and I missed it, but I fear this is when all pretense falls away and this is openly framed as war. And I say this as one who plans on manning an aid station when this comes here, probably after JMU students come back. Really scary times, people.

20 Likes

The United States is one of the countries in the Americas where citizens speak Spanish.

Half the places in the Western half of the United States have Spanish names. In some parts of the United States (including Puerto Rico, as @KathyPartdeux notes) Spanish is still the most widely spoken and written language.

20 Likes

Barr is doubling down, now saying pepper spray “isn’t a chemical irritant.”

Something tells me he wouldn’t be making that argument if someone pepper sprayed a cop.

13 Likes

I know the lie is a distraction, but it is so ridiculous that I had to respond to it.

19 Likes

pepper spray “isn’t a chemical irritant.”

(ahem) excuse me, Mr. Barr…

“The chemical compound capsaicin (8-methyl- N -vanillyl-6-nonenamide) is the active component of chili peppers, which are plants belonging to the genus Capsicum . It is an irritant for mammals, including humans, and produces a sensation of burning in any tissue it comes in contact with.”

https://www.scienceofcooking.com/capsaicin.htm

14 Likes

I know; it’s like saying “blue isn’t a color” or “Portuguese isn’t a language” or “Trump isn’t a fascist.”

24 Likes

cat-skateboard-deal

18 Likes

Nope, it’s an amazingly effective chemical irritant.

9 Likes

I’ll make him a phall, since he thinks he can handle it.

11 Likes

Well worth a watch:

7 Likes

my two cents on this. re-forming not reforming. if that makes any sense.

in my view there are going to be situations where you need an armed response. this is america, people have guns, occasionally you probably need law enforcement to have guns

the thing is, the vast majority of public safety response can be handled by unarmed non-police units. currently, armed officers handle everything in america: traffic safety ( ticketing, dui checkpoints, accidents ), mental health calls, noise complaints, suicide and home death response, crime scene investigation, and on. even cops don’t want to do most of that stuff.

in my own neighborhood ive seen swarms of cops armed with long guns ( if that’s the accepted term ) running around, poking into backyards, searching for a person who didn’t pull over when the cops flashed their lights at them. that’s not public safety. that’s adolescent boys having an excuse to pull their toys out

the one big one im not sure about is domestic violence response. i hear from police i know that those are the most dangerous, fraught responses. ( fortunately, im sure there are people who have already thought long and hard on it. )

10 Likes

omg

The police also did not incite anything as well — although Nashville Scene does note that officers attempted to break up the march at one point by falsely claiming there was a tornado warning for the area.

good on huffington for giving local news the credit for the overall story scoop, and for calling out the police

14 Likes

One pediatrician’s report of running a medical aid station

14 Likes

Surreally, Piers Morgan is again being a voice of reason:

ITV presenter Piers Morgan responded in tweets: "Does Priti Patel even know who Edward Colston was?

"He was a major slave trader involved in the transportation of 84,000 enslaved African men, women & young children, of whom 19,000 died on voyages from West Africa to the Caribbean & the Americas.

“Priti Patel thinks pulling down a slave trader’s statue ‘undermines’ racism protests. Have we ever had a more tone-deaf Home Secretary?”

22 Likes

what

How crazy is that?

22 Likes

Don’t pollute the Avon!

8 Likes

This is the Weapons of Mass Destruction guy? Made a speech at the UN with a fake sample as a prop?

8 Likes

“abolition” not just for the violence but because they lie, shamelessly, all the fucking time

10 Likes

He’s also the “officer in charge of the cover-up for the My Lai Massacre guy”.

11 Likes

clearly qualified to render expert commentary about lying

9 Likes