2022 Russian invasion of Ukraine (Part 1)

20 Likes
17 Likes

i accept the possibility, sure. however, since none of us can see inside their brains might as well entertain and enjoy the possibility of individual russians knowing what’s what

the interpretation of symbolism is at least as important, if not more, as the intended meaning

9 Likes

The civilians were allegedly taken to camps where Russians checked their phones and documents and then forcibly moved some of them to remote cities in Russia.

So now Russia is taking civilian prisoners of war.

Boris Johnson was at Tory fundraiser with Russian donor on night of invasion

Of course he fucking was.

Johnson said it is the “instinct of the people of this country, like the people of Ukraine, to choose freedom”, with the Brexit vote a “famous recent example”.

There are no words I can use here to express how much contempt and hatred I have for this complete arsehole of a man.

24 Likes

Kidnapping victims. Hostages. More victims of this criminal invasion.

20 Likes

God, I hate him so much

15 Likes

Schitts Creek Comedy GIF by CBC

14 Likes

What angers me the most is that I know that he doesn’t care about Brexit, Ukraine, the EU or even the UK at all. All he says and does is what he thinks will prolong his time at the helm. He isn’t even one of the true believers. Just a public school boy who has learned that it pays to be what the other boys want you to be. But at some point this skating through life by making an ironic game of it has become so second nature that he doesn’t even realise how monstrous it is to do so while thousands are being killed and maimed. Everything is just a talking point to get what you want.

21 Likes

From The Guardian liveblog

The Kyiv Independent reported today that Russia is illegally forcing untrained men living in the Russian-controlled Donbas region to fight and putting them on the frontlines.

“These people have never even held a machine gun in their hands,” said Oleksii, a 24-year-old resident of Russian-occupied Khrestivka in Donetsk, speaking of friends, classmates and former colleagues that he knows have been conscripted.

One Donbas resident named Anastasia told the news outlet that these civilians from Donbas are forced to serve in frontline positions, with Russian forces threatening to shoot them if they don’t comply.

13 Likes

Forced relocation is a type of ethnic cleansing

20 Likes

“There are some around the world, even in some western governments, who invoke what they call realpolitik. And you say that we’re better off making accommodations with tyranny.”

This is directed at SchrĂśder, Merkel, and Scholz.

I am pretty sure whoever wrote this speech and whoever vetted it poured some thoughts into what this would cause. This is deliberate. They might be quite afraid at the perceived efficiency of European unity right now, if I may speculate, and are trying to cause some stir by this.

FTR, everyone and their German Shepard nowadays agrees on that, no, it wasn’t a good idea to have no exit plan for the close economic ties to Russia.

Also FTR: how about this Pfeffel persona? Isn’t he the Major of London who basically invited Russian money to the UK?

Anyway, back on topic: yeah, the images of Ukrainian empty shelves and the images of British empty shelves are exactly the same thing, right? Two countries attacked by a deranged apparatchik.

/s, just in case

16 Likes

Short thread:

21 Likes

(NYT reprint via Yahoo)

11 Likes
16 Likes

Ethnic Russians, I assume, being used as human shields by Russians.

What the actual fuck?

One can only hope they take the first chance to surrender.

18 Likes

Today does seem to be the day for Tory weasels furthering their little culture war vanity projects by exploiting the real pain and suffering of people being murdered en masse. Pathetic.

14 Likes
17 Likes

This is an insult to weasels.

The correct term is ‘Tory scum’, or ‘Tory vermin’.

no amount of cajolery, and no attempts at ethical or social seduction, can eradicate from my heart a deep burning hatred for the Tory Party…they are lower than vermin

Russian money buying as many Tories as it likes tells us all we need to know about the Tories. 'Twas ever thus:

what is Toryism except organised Spivvery

(Both quotes, Aneurin Bevan, 1948)

19 Likes

Apologies to weasels everywhere.

Yes indeed.

13 Likes

Ethnic cleansing. The polite term for genocide.

19 Likes