2022 Russian invasion of Ukraine (Part 1)

3 Likes

The Guardian reporting that

The Russian Federation Council is set to hold an unscheduled meeting on Friday, leading to widespread speculation in Moscow that the country might impose martial law.

The introduction of martial law would give the authorities sweeping powers to limit freedom of movement and freedom of speech.

Martial law is one thing, but with all of the army in Ukraine, who’s going to enforce it? :man_shrugging:

(Not that there’s much freedom of speech even without martial law.)

7 Likes
15 Likes
21 Likes

Unfortunately, it will be these two groups, which are very scary (just encountering these goons in Moscow gives one the chills).

Along with the regular cops. Most of the troops in Ukraine are conscripts.

18 Likes

Yeah - I was being sarky. No shortage of thuggish goons in Russia.

7 Likes
23 Likes

Man, it’s as if the Ukraine government is declaring open season on Russian equipment! :rofl:

22 Likes
12 Likes

Hilarious. Great sense of the macabre.

8 Likes

This should be for tax purposes only. I find it very difficult for the government to leave people with tanks, armored cars or RPGs. Picture the scene: A lady going to the market in her T72, bumps into an armored personnel carrier. Soon the argument begins and each one pulls a mortar…

shocked ron burgundy GIF

17 Likes

Rare(?) example of a wealthy Russian businessman not on the Treasury Department’s “Putin list” of oligarchs. I wonder what the criteria for inclusion/exclusion were.

2 Likes

Is that US Army Reserves? Or …?

3 Likes

Genuine soviet rifles. Never been fired and only dropped once.

16 Likes

adopt for sale GIF by Boomerang Official

5 Likes

I expect that will just be fodder down the road for justification of a Russian invasion of Poland. (“Freeing out neighbors from the racists!”) However, I’m torn between feeling that this isn’t the right time to be highlighting this (since it distracts from the issue at hand, and since anything that makes countries more likely to support Ukraine here is good), and that is is exactly the right time to be highlighting it, since the racism is happening right now and is harming people trying to survive the war in real time.

As for the borders, I am an advocate for completely open borders everywhere, though over the years I’ve experienced some flak and derision for the belief.

3 Likes

Not just any babushka.

14 Likes

What is Usmanov’s involvement with Everton?

The 68-year-old Uzbek is a business associate of Everton owner Farhad Moshiri and co-owns USM Holdings and MegaFon, two of the club’s major sponsors. He has long been considered a key investor in Everton, but is not a shareholder in the club.

His nephew Sarvar Ismailov resigned from Everton’s board of directors in November for personal and health reasons. Sarvar, 26, and his brother Sanjar, 34, were accused of grievous bodily harm over an alleged incident in June last year but the case against them was dismissed in December.

Usmanov’s presence would appear to go beyond just money. The Athletic has previously reported that former manager Rafa Benitez met Moshiri and Usmanov on the Russian billionaire’s luxury yacht last summer before joining the club.

Everton, though, insist the latter has no influence in the interview process for new managers.

Usmanov, a former shareholder at Arsenal, was once Russia’s richest man and built his wealth through metals. He previously welcomed links to Putin, telling Forbes in a 2010 interview: “I am proud that I know Putin, and the fact that everybody does not like him is not Putin’s problem.”

3 Likes
10 Likes

Wow. It’s like these cops heard about the kids getting arrested and said “we’re never gonna make the police as hated as those guys did … oh, wait!”

8 Likes