2022 Russian invasion of Ukraine (Part 1)

14 Likes
11 Likes

This may be the inspiration for Putinā€™s speech in a couple of days

9 Likes
9 Likes
14 Likes

I donā€™t think Russians from richer regions will be happy with ā€œwartime economyā€.

15 Likes
19 Likes

wormsign.jpg

thumper.gif

3 Likes

Ye gods, just when I thought there was no way for Russian soldiers to be any more abhorrentā€¦

I hope this news of their crimes in full gets back to the perpsā€™ families, friends, teachers, every human in their lives in any way.

12 Likes

It took me several reads to realize a faction called VPN wasnā€™t launching skyrockets in Russia. :confused:

18 Likes
19 Likes
12 Likes

One less T-90M for the victory parade

15 Likes

Any significant Russian military success will likely create a major, open-ended insurgency that will get bigger for every district Russian forces may overrun. Putin went for broke in February with Plan A. The failure of that scheme means that plans B, C or any subsequent plans still leaves Russia going for broke - needing to suppress some or all of a very big country.

One way or another, Russia will have to keep fighting in Ukraine, either against the population, or against the Ukrainian army, and quite possibly both simultaneously. And as long as Kyiv sticks to its current line that demands Russian withdrawal before any concessions can be contemplated, there is not much Putin can do but carry grimly on.

20 Likes

Jesus, get it together, UK. You managed to move 200,000 children out of harms way during The Blitz.

9 Likes

I not sure itā€™s comparable. Back then there was probably no attention being paid to the safety of those relocated aside from ā€œanything is safer than where they are nowā€. I am glad that some attention is being paid to the safety of refugees, especially women and children. After everything they have already been through/are going through I donā€™t want them to end up in a situation where they are at risk of exploitation

15 Likes

Fair point. I read a handful were lost in a magical realm after going through a wardrobe.

Still, the UK and others should be able to figure out how help Ukrainian refugees. Those articles were about the UK, but the US could be stepping up more as well.

8 Likes

The fundamental difference is that the government of the day wanted the blitz evacuation to work. The current UK government really donā€™t want to accept any refugees at all from anywhere, so the incompetence is on purpose.

26 Likes

Or, perhaps more expansively, during the Blitz it was about the safety of ā€œour peopleā€ as opposed to ā€œthose others.ā€

18 Likes

Thread:

15 Likes