2022 Russian invasion of Ukraine (Part 1)

I have no words.

15 Likes
8 Likes
15 Likes

she wasn’t originally a Ukraine supporter…

5 Likes
13 Likes

Hundreds of thousands of Americans protested the first Gulf War as it was happening.

G. H. W. Bush was a career diplomat and spy and part of the revolving door between the petroleum industry and the intelligence community. He knew how to contrive circumstances that made an invasion of the Middle East look legitimate, and protesters knew that was what he was doing.

The fact that the military-industrial complex had barely concluded its then-recent series of atrocities in Vietnam and Central America didn’t help its credibility either.

It didn’t matter. The media treated 100,000 anti-war protesters in one place and 10 pro-war counter-protesters in another place as a suitable subject for “both sides” coverage, and none of it had the slightest influence on historical events.

19 Likes

a natural gas export terminal in the americas might prepare Europe for the next war (right after the 2026 Winter Olympics). If in the same timeframe, green energy is a feasible alternative, it’s the better option.

2 Likes

Just ask a Ukrainian farmer to sell you one

9 Likes

You can see that they’ve got a dozen vans for prisoners lining the square.

7 Likes

I do not trust the CCP any farther than I can throw them, but I really am scratching my head to see how any kind of direct support for Russia’s invasion of Ukraine would serve China’s interests in the short term or the long term. Indeed, a weakened Russia would seem to be more in line with China’s strategic goals (things that China might want from Russia, such as cheap energy and grain imports, will be much easier to obtain on favorable terms from a diminished Russia). The idea has been bandied about that China really sees eye to eye with Russia and wants to weaken their geopolitical rivals in NATO. However, it is pretty clear by now that Russia’s invasion of Ukraine is not going to weaken NATO in any way, shape or form.

If China does throw its support behind Russia, the only way I can see that making sense would be if China expects Russia to return the favor with Taiwan.

10 Likes

So maye they’re arresting the invasion supporters as well because they have an arrest quota/vans to fill?

6 Likes

The arrestees languish in unheated vans for days.

4 Likes
9 Likes

I hope this is true.

14 Likes

they probably can’t hear anything in those helmets. they see someone talking at length to a reporter and that’s all they need

i read that anyone who even says there’s a war happening - for or against - faces fifteen years. id imagine the only thing to do would be to flood the system so there isn’t enough space in the prisons to follow through. :confused:

though i also think at a certain point those reporters have some culpability. they know anyone they talk to will be arrested, so they’re not just passively observing the detentions: they’re participating…

21 Likes

Thread with unroll:

14 Likes
16 Likes
7 Likes
15 Likes

Damn, that is some Bond villain shit right there.

16 Likes