2022 Russian invasion of Ukraine (Part 2)

In theory the frigate allegedly damaged is exactly such a modern naval ship. Its specs indicate that it comes with 2 AK-630 systems for point defense (unclear which revision/modernization); and in its capacity as ‘flagship’ one would normally expect it to be in the vicinity of at least some other vessels with similar; apparently the AK-630 was more or less ubiquitious in Soviet warship designs; though slated to be replaced by Kashtan or Pantsir-M in some of the new-enough-that-they-are-mostly-theoretical models.

Were the system working as intended the drones involved would have been considerably slower than the sort of anti-ship missiles that CIWS systems normally hope to be effective against; and definitely not durable enough to resist a 30mm autocannon for more than a moment or two.

I’m inclined to suspect that either the fire control system is less impressive than advertised; or the system simply wasn’t being used because of some combination of (legitimate) concern over friendly fire risk and (incorrect) assessment of how safe their distance was; potentially combined with some good old fashioned bungling.

9 Likes

I wonder how easily such a system could be either overwhelmed or depleted of ammunition if it was challenged with a large number of cheap, expendable decoy drones or something similar.

Edit to add: drone light shows are commercially available now. Just imagine the psychological effect of attacking ships with freakin’ dragons.

(seems like they would expend a lot of ammo taking it out, if nothing else.)

12 Likes
13 Likes

1 Like
9 Likes
8 Likes
14 Likes
12 Likes
12 Likes

Every accusation is a confession, and of course, no shaming, but damn is that a pretty niche kink.

5 Likes

vfovn9a6nbb11

10 Likes
9 Likes
15 Likes
11 Likes

why does medvedev sound like MT Greene?

11 Likes

Because Putin pulls his strings?

13 Likes

I’m unsure how general winter will ever help an invading army… even if they’re normally helped by him…

11 Likes
14 Likes

See also the Battle of Stalingrad and the Wehrmacht…

11 Likes
9 Likes